Equivalent Expression for Cot 50 Degrees

In summary, trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the relationships between the sides and angles of triangles. It is important in fields such as engineering, physics, astronomy, and navigation, as it helps in solving real-world problems involving angles and distances. The basic concepts of trigonometry include angles, right triangles, trigonometric functions, and the Pythagorean theorem. The unit circle, a circle with a radius of 1, is related to trigonometry as it helps in understanding the trigonometric functions and their values for different angles. To improve your trigonometry skills, it is recommended to practice solving problems, familiarize yourself with trigonometric identities and formulas, and use online resources such as tutorials and
TonyC
How do I go about finding the equivalent expression for cot 50 degrees?

When I work the problem, I come up with tan 130 degrees.

Where am I going wrong?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I rather work in radians, if you don't mind.

[tex]50^\circ = \frac{{5\pi }}{{18}}[/tex]

We know that:
[tex]\cot \left( \alpha \right) = \tan \left( {\frac{\pi }{2} - \alpha } \right)[/tex]

So:
[tex]\cot \left( {\frac{{5\pi }}{{18}}} \right) = \tan \left( {\frac{\pi }{2} - \frac{{5\pi }}{{18}}} \right) = \tan \left( {\frac{{2\pi }}{9}} \right) = \tan \left( {40^\circ } \right)[/tex]

That makes perfect sense now...

The light has come on, thank you

No problem :smile:

What is trigonometry?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the relationships between the sides and angles of triangles.

Why is trigonometry important?

Trigonometry is used in many fields such as engineering, physics, astronomy, and navigation. It helps in solving real-world problems involving angles and distances.

What are the basic concepts of trigonometry?

The basic concepts of trigonometry include angles, right triangles, trigonometric functions (sine, cosine, and tangent), and the Pythagorean theorem.

What is the unit circle and how is it related to trigonometry?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1, centered at the origin of a coordinate system. It is related to trigonometry because it helps in understanding the trigonometric functions and their values for different angles.

How can I improve my trigonometry skills?

To improve your trigonometry skills, practice solving problems and familiarize yourself with the trigonometric identities and formulas. You can also use online resources, such as tutorials and practice problems, to enhance your understanding of the subject.