How Do You Simplify Trigonometric Expressions Using Identities?

• Thread starter asdfsystema
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trigonometry
In summary: After combining the two terms, you will have sin^4(x)*sin(x) + sin^5(x)*cos(x) = 2*sin^3(x)cos(x)You can now use the second trigonometric identity, tan(x) = (1/tan(x))*cos(x).After applying the two identities, your final expression would be sin^4(x)*sin(x) + 2*sin^3(x)*cos(x) = 1*tan^3(x)
asdfsystema
Trigonometry Basic (URGENT) please help !

Homework Statement

SIMPLIFY:
sin(x)/cot^2(x) - sin(x)/cos^2(x)

Homework Equations

Trigonometric identities I think

The Attempt at a Solution

I got sin(x)cot^-2(x) - sin(x) sec^2(x) ...

but the book says the answer is -sin(x).

Any starting points please? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

First try changing the cot^2(x) expression into an expression in terms of sin(x) and cos(x), and leave everything in terms of sin(x) and cos(x), i.e. don't change the cosine expression in the right term into a secant expression.
As you've suspected, you will need to use trigonometric identities to aid in your simplification.

Hint: You should know the trigonometric identity tan(x) = sin(x)/cos(x). Try to take it from there.

After you've done that, try simplifying the entire expression into one fraction, still in terms of just sin(x) and cos(x).
I'll tell you that you will need to know at least one more trigonometric identity after you've gotten it simplified to a single fraction to complete the problem.

Last edited:

I'm not sure where to apply the trig identity.

I got sin(x)/ (cos(x)/sin(x))^2 - sin(x)/ cos(x)*cos(x)

Where does the identity come into play?

Thanks for the quick response

asdfsystema said:
I'm not sure where to apply the trig identity.

I got sin(x)/ (cos(x)/sin(x))^2 - sin(x)/ cos(x)*cos(x)

Where does the identity come into play?

Thanks for the quick response

Ok, you applied the first trig identity cot(x) = cos(x) / sin(x) correctly. You need to clean this expression up a bit before you will be able to apply another identity. Combine the powers of sine and cosine in both terms, and see what the denominators will become. Remember if you are adding or subtracting two fractions with the same denominator, you may combine them into one fraction with that same denominator.

Hints: In any expression, (a/b) / (c/d) = (a/b) * (d/c)
Also, (a/c) + (b/c) = (a+b)/c
With trig expressions, they work the same as multiplying other expressions with identical bases, so for example
sin^4(x) * sin(x) = sin^5(x)

Last edited:

1. What exactly is Trigonometry Basic?

Trigonometry Basic is a branch of mathematics that deals with the relationships between the sides and angles of triangles. It is used to solve problems involving angles and distances, and has applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy.

2. What are the basic concepts of Trigonometry?

The basic concepts of Trigonometry include angles, right triangles, sine, cosine, and tangent functions, and the Pythagorean theorem. These concepts are used to find missing side lengths and angles in triangles, as well as to solve real-world problems involving triangles.

3. How is Trigonometry used in real life?

Trigonometry has many real-world applications, such as in navigation, surveying, and architecture. It is also used in fields such as physics and engineering to solve problems involving angles and forces. Trigonometry can also be used to model and understand natural phenomena, such as the motion of waves and the orbits of planets.

4. What are the main formulas in Trigonometry Basic?

The main formulas in Trigonometry Basic include the sine, cosine, and tangent ratios (SOH-CAH-TOA), the Pythagorean theorem, and the Law of Sines and Law of Cosines. These formulas are used to find missing side lengths and angles in triangles, and can also be used to solve more complex problems involving multiple triangles.

5. Is Trigonometry Basic difficult to learn?

Trigonometry Basic can be challenging for some, as it involves a lot of new concepts and formulas. However, with practice and a solid understanding of the basics, it can become easier to grasp. Additionally, there are many online resources and textbooks available to help with learning Trigonometry Basic.