Trigonometry book like Euclid's Elements?

In summary, the speaker is looking for a trigonometry book that is rigorous, concise, and insightful. They are specifically interested in books like Euclid's Elements, Spivak's Calculus, and Rudin's Principles. They want a book that is suitable for high school or college freshmen level but also enjoyable for someone who already knows and loves the subject. They do not want a "cookbook" style book and would prefer a book that covers geometry and trigonometry together or a precalculus book with a strong trigonometry section. They have already searched for suggestions on PF and have received a recommendation for Algebra and Trigonometry by Marshall D.Hestenes and Richard O. Hill Jr.
honestrosewater
Gold Member
I'm looking for a trigonometry book that is rigorous, concise, insightful, etc. Something along the lines of Euclid's Elements, Spivak's Calculus, Rudin's Principles. I understand it's usually taught at the high school or college freshman level, but I'd like a book that someone who already knows and loves the subject might enjoy reading or teaching from. I've seen mathwonk call some calculus books "cookbooks"- I don't want a trigonometry cookbook, and that's all I've been able to find. A book covering geometry and trigonometry together would also be great- or even a precalculus book with a good trigonometry section.
BTW, I already searched PF for suggestions.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Algebra and Trigonometry by Marshall D.Hestenes, Richard O. Hill Jr.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

1. What is the purpose of a Trigonometry book like Euclid's Elements?

The purpose of a Trigonometry book like Euclid's Elements is to provide a systematic and rigorous approach to the study of trigonometry, which is a branch of mathematics that deals with the relationships between the sides and angles of triangles.

2. Who is Euclid and why is his book important in Trigonometry?

Euclid was a Greek mathematician who lived in the 3rd century BC. His book, Elements, is considered one of the most influential mathematical works in history. It is important in Trigonometry because it presents a logical and organized method for proving geometric theorems, including those related to triangles and trigonometric functions.

3. Is a Trigonometry book like Euclid's Elements suitable for beginners?

No, a Trigonometry book like Euclid's Elements is not suitable for beginners. It is a highly advanced and abstract text that requires a solid understanding of basic mathematical concepts and terminology. It is more suitable for advanced students or researchers in the field of mathematics.

4. What topics are covered in a Trigonometry book like Euclid's Elements?

A Trigonometry book like Euclid's Elements covers a wide range of topics related to trigonometry, including the basic concepts of angles, triangles, and trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. It also covers more advanced topics such as trigonometric identities, equations, and applications in geometry and physics.

5. Are there any modern versions of a Trigonometry book like Euclid's Elements?

Yes, there are modern versions of a Trigonometry book like Euclid's Elements that have been updated with new theories, concepts, and applications. However, the fundamental principles and methods presented in Euclid's Elements remain relevant and are still studied and referenced by mathematicians today.