1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trigonometry equatation

1. Nov 10, 2008 #1
    Sorry but i dont know how to use latex yet or to add mathematical symbols somehow.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove that 1-sin2θ/cos2θ = 1-tanθ/1+tanθ

2. Relevant equations

sin2θ = 2tanθ/1+tan2θ and cos2θ =1-tan2θ/1+tan2θ

I have allready proved from a previous exercise those two above so i pressume they may be useful.

3. The attempt at a solution

1-sin2θ/cos2θ = 1-2tanθ/1+tan2θ/1-tan2θ/1+tan2θ=

i then multiply the fraction with (1+tan2θ) and i am left with

i have tried various things but i suppose this is the way to go.. maybe not, i dont know, i am stuck. Can someone help me on that one please?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2008 #2
    Prove that (1-sin2θ)/cos2θ = (1-tanθ)/(1+tanθ)

just replace the sine and cosine by the relevant equations that you cited.

The exercise is quite straighforeward.

you should come to (1-tanθ)^2/(1-tan^2(θ))

4. Nov 10, 2008 #3
    Yes you told me exactly what i did :uhh:
    but for some reason i am stuck at this step. Its not that straight forward for me as it is for you :grumpy:
  5. Nov 10, 2008 #4

Again i tell you : redo what you did because you calculated it incorrectly. What you give as your result is already incorrect ! Recalculate the substitutions

ps : please, try to be polite to people that are trying to help you. Otherwise you won't last long here. Just a small piece of advice.
  6. Nov 10, 2008 #5
    Ok so my calculations were wrong i will try and work it out then, thanks.

And btw i admire that you are helping people with their math problems but you did not help me with your first post, capitoo:)?
  7. Nov 10, 2008 #6
    If i didn't help you with my post then why do you say your calculations are wrong ?

We are not gonna spoon feed the solution to you. That doesn't serve ANY purpose.
    I clearly stated what equation you should get if you did it properly and i also told you where your mistakes were made.

Aside, giving you the solution, there is not much else to say

8. Nov 10, 2008 #7
    You said that my calculations were wrong in your second post ... In your first post however you just said what i said, you sounded like a parrot.
  9. Nov 10, 2008 #8
    ok sorry i just read the post again you are right i am just a little dizzy to much math for me those days.... :)
  10. Nov 11, 2008 #9
    So, is the problem solved ?

11. Nov 15, 2008 #10
    Yes problem solved o:)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?