Understanding and Solving Trigonometry Equations: Tips and Tricks

In summary, the person is asking for help with trig equations involving secant and tangent, specifically what to do with the squared terms. They have attempted to solve the equation multiple times but have had no success. The responder suggests using Pythagorean identities to solve the equation.
Dragonetti

Homework Statement

Hi,
This isn't a homework question, I am having a bit of trouble with some Trig equations. If you are worried that you are answering a homework question please give me the solution to a similar question.

Homework Equations

When we have a trig equation like sec2X + tan2X = 6.

I know that sec is equal to 1/cos, and tan is equal to sin/cos, but what do I do with the square? Do I square all the terms or just the denominator?

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried many times, to many to list here!

Thanks for your help
Dominic

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: is there a Pythagorean identity that relates secant and tangent?

Hi Dominic! :wink:
Dragonetti said:
When we have a trig equation like sec2X + tan2X = 6.

I know that sec is equal to 1/cos, and tan is equal to sin/cos, but what do I do with the square? Do I square all the terms or just the denominator?

The whole thing …

tan2x = sin2x/cos2x :smile:

(and you can also use one of the standard https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=18"

sec2x = tan2x + 1, same as 1/cos2x = sin2x/cos2x + cos2x/cos2x :wink:)​

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person

What is trigonometry and why is it important?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the relationships between the sides and angles of triangles. It is important because it is used in a wide range of fields such as engineering, physics, and navigation.

What are trigonometric equations?

Trigonometric equations are mathematical expressions that involve trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. These equations usually involve unknown angles and require solving to find the value of the angle.

What are some tips for solving trigonometric equations?

One tip is to use the unit circle to visualize the values of trigonometric functions for different angles. Another tip is to simplify the equation by using trigonometric identities. Additionally, it is helpful to know the special angles and their corresponding trigonometric values.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving trigonometric equations?

One common mistake is forgetting to check for extraneous solutions, which are solutions that do not satisfy the original equation. Another mistake is not using the correct trigonometric identities or not simplifying the equation properly.

How can I improve my understanding of trigonometric equations?

Practice is key to improving your understanding of trigonometric equations. It is also helpful to review the fundamental concepts and formulas of trigonometry. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or attending a trigonometry class can also improve your understanding.