How Is Trigonometry Used to Calculate Forces on an Arrow's Bottom Beam?

In summary, the person is seeking help in calculating the equivalent force needed to rotate a mechanism by one degree. They are using a flexible pivot bearing and know that 1 pound of downward force will give them a clockwise rotation of one degree. They are asking for guidance on where to start and what to research to find the solution. The person responding is asking for more specific details and for the original person to state what mathematical solutions they have attempted so far.
JJ32
How would I calculate the force acting on the bottom beam in the arrow shown?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/the_other_shots/5726954751/

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to poke around and find the proper format for asking this kind of question on this forum. You need to state what the relevant equations are and what you have tried so far to get an answer. If we understand better where you are having difficulty, perhaps we can help. Folks here don't just DO homework problems for you they try to help you figure out how to do them.

Hi Phinds,

Thank you for the reply. I am designing a mechanism that will use a flexible pivot bearing (basically a spring bearing) at the rotate point in the diagram, http://www.c-flex.com/ .

For the bearing I want to use, i know that a downward force of 1 pound will give me a rotation clockwise of one degree.

But i will have a force acting on the mechanism in the direction of the arrow.
I would like to calculate the equivalent force that will be required to rotate the mechanism by one degree. I don't know where to start (with vectors?) to calculate the force I will need.

If you would have any hints on what i should be studying/ where i should be researching it would be much appreciated,

Best wishes,

Your restatement is more complete but until you find that format I was pointing out, I have no idea what you know and what you don't. Do you know trig for example? You need to state what MATH solution you have attempted and give more of a specific idea what your problem is. Please look for that format.

To calculate the force acting on the bottom beam in the arrow shown, we would need to use trigonometry and Newton's laws of motion. First, we would need to determine the angle of the bottom beam in relation to the vertical direction. This can be done by using the given measurements of the arrow and applying the trigonometric function of tangent (tan). Once we have the angle, we can then use the trigonometric function of cosine (cos) to calculate the horizontal component of the force acting on the bottom beam. This would be equal to the weight of the arrow multiplied by the cosine of the angle. To calculate the vertical component of the force, we can use the trigonometric function of sine (sin), which would be equal to the weight of the arrow multiplied by the sine of the angle. Finally, we can use Newton's second law, which states that force is equal to mass multiplied by acceleration, to calculate the overall force acting on the bottom beam. By using these calculations, we can determine the force acting on the bottom beam and ensure that it is within the safe limits for the structural integrity of the arrow.

What is Trigonometry Forces Question?

Trigonometry Forces Question is a type of mathematical problem that involves using trigonometric concepts to calculate the forces acting on an object. It typically involves finding the magnitude and direction of a force, given its components and the angle at which it is acting.

Why is Trigonometry important in understanding forces?

Trigonometry is important for understanding forces because it allows us to break down a force into its components and calculate the magnitude and direction of each component. This is particularly useful in physics and engineering, where forces often act at angles and need to be resolved into their vertical and horizontal components.

What are the key trigonometric functions used in solving forces problems?

The key trigonometric functions used in solving forces problems are sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions relate the side lengths of a right triangle to its angles. Sine is the ratio of the opposite side to the hypotenuse, cosine is the ratio of the adjacent side to the hypotenuse, and tangent is the ratio of the opposite side to the adjacent side.

How is trigonometry used to solve forces problems?

Trigonometry is used to solve forces problems by first identifying the relevant forces acting on an object and their components. Then, using the trigonometric functions, we can calculate the magnitude and direction of each component. Finally, we can combine the components to find the resultant force acting on the object.

Are there any real-world applications of Trigonometry Forces Question?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of Trigonometry Forces Question. For example, engineers use trigonometry to calculate the forces acting on structures such as bridges and buildings. Physicists use it to study the motion of objects under the influence of various forces. Trigonometry is also used in navigation, astronomy, and other fields where precise calculations of forces and angles are necessary.