Are SEC and CSC functions only used in English?

In summary, Joe has a complicated story of being educated in French but now moving to an English school due to his plans to study astrophysics in Canada. He was surprised to learn about the SEC and CSC functions, which are not used in French. These functions are also used in Scandinavian and Arabic countries, but not in Sweden. Joe also expressed interest in talking with math experts and provided his MSN address. There was a brief exchange of insults between users from Norway and Sweden, and it was mentioned that Lebanon has a French influence and a common Norwegian surname is Lie.
A_I_
hello everyone,
well my story is a bit complicated..
since I've entered school i was french educated,
now I'm in my last year and I'm moving to an english school
and I'm in the field GS (general sciences)
the reason for moving schools is that I'm traveling to Canada next year
to study "astrophysics"..

anyway my question is:
when i was looking at the trigonometry chapter,
i noticed the SEC and the CSC functions
which i discovered their meanings: secx= 1/cosx
and cscx= 1/sinx

and i was astonished because there's no SEC and CSC in french.
i asked grade 11 students in english schools, they told me that they know it
and i asked french educated students in grade 12.. but they don't know it.

are these functions only used in english?

thanks for any help
joe

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!
These function-names are also used in Scandinavia, and in Germany as well, I believe.

And in all the Arabic countries.

thankss

thanks,
you were so cooperative

regards,
joe

im sorry

devious_ said:
And in all the Arabic countries.

i live in lebanon (arabic country)

and we don't use them.

These function-names are also used in Scandinavia, and in Germany as well, I believe.

They are pretty much non-existant in Sweden.

Muzza said:
They are pretty much non-existant in Sweden.
Hmm..the Swedes always have their own, strange incomprehensible ways of doing things..

?

it's so wierd

it's all about contradictions

Hmm..the Swedes always have their own, strange incomprehensible ways of doing things..

Ah yes, writing 1/cos(x) instead of sec(x) is incomprehensible for you feeble-minded Norwegians...

;)

Muzza said:
Ah yes, writing 1/cos(x) instead of sec(x) is incomprehensible for you feeble-minded Norwegians...

;)
FEEBLE-MINDED??
WE ARE MASTERS OF BOTH TECHNIQUES; BESIDES, YOU HAVEN'T GOT ANY OIL OR MERCHANT FLEET TO SPEAK OF!

WE ARE MASTERS OF BOTH TECHNIQUES

You just said that "our" way was "incomprehensible". How typically Norwegian, you're all like John Kerry.

YOU HAVEN'T GOT ANY OIL OR MERCHANT FLEET TO SPEAK OF!

At least we don't speak as odd as you do, era jäkla brusefåtöljer.

:P

Last edited:
brusefåtøljer??

Legend has it that brusefåtölj ("noisy chair", I suppose) is Norwegian for "toilet" (yes, I know it's not true).

Muzza said:
Legend has it that brusefåtölj ("noisy chair", I suppose) is Norwegian for "toilet" (yes, I know it's not true).
Is this some kind of strange, Swedish compliment :confused:

After all, as is well known, Swedes still dump their bodily refuse in their backyards..

Where's the Dane to complete this Scandinavian insult session?

It never occurred to me that the Sec and Csc, which are pretty rarely used BTW, were not universal!

I've a surname of Scandinavian descent, can I join in? However the only things I knew how to say in Danish was "hard boiled egg" (and some isolated words from Peter Hoeg novels), and I've forgotten that. You'd have to be incredibly thin skinned to find that insulting.

lol.. we are talking about trigs
don't forget ! :P

ah but

A_I_ said:
i live in lebanon (arabic country)

and we don't use them.

Lebanon has a French influence :-)

Wasn't the Scandinavian Trigva Lie the first Secretary General of the U.N.? ;-)

Not to mention that Lie itself is a wonderful mathematics name. Any relation to Sophus Lie?

HallsofIvy said:
Not to mention that Lie itself is a wonderful mathematics name. Any relation to Sophus Lie?
No; Lie is a Norwegian surname about as common as Hill in English
(Lie means, BTW, "hill/hillside")

1. What are SEC and CSC functions?

SEC and CSC are two commonly used functions in computer programming. SEC stands for "Security and Exchange Commission" and CSC stands for "Common Subexpression Elimination".

2. Are SEC and CSC functions only used in English?

No, SEC and CSC functions are not limited to English. They can be used in any programming language that supports them.

3. What is the purpose of SEC and CSC functions?

The purpose of SEC and CSC functions is to improve the efficiency and accuracy of computer programs by eliminating redundant calculations and optimizing code.

4. How do SEC and CSC functions work?

SEC and CSC functions work by identifying and eliminating common subexpressions in a program's code. This reduces the number of calculations needed to be performed, improving the program's speed and performance.

5. Can SEC and CSC functions be used in all types of programs?

Yes, SEC and CSC functions can be used in a variety of programs, including web development, game development, and scientific computing. They are especially useful in programs that involve a lot of calculations and repetitive code.