1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trigonometry help wanted

1. Jun 20, 2009 #1
    Okay, I must admit, my trigonometry is rather awful...

anyway, I would like to write out what 1 / 2^2 is equal to in terms of sine, cosine, tangent, and the like

is the following correct, or how do I write it correctly (or what would be the correct figures for 0.5^0.5):

0.5^0.5 = a 45-degree angle = cos (45) = sin (45) = a tangent of 1

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2009 #2

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Yes this is correct. What you are looking for is a value [itex]\theta[/itex] where
    [tex]sin(\theta)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]
    And yes, you correctly noted that the isosceles right-angled triangle has adjacent and opposite sides (to the angle [itex]\theta[/itex]) of value 1 and hypotenuse of value [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex].

Did you mean 1/2^(1/2)? If you actually meant 1/4 then you wont have a 'nice' simple value for [itex]\theta[/itex]. Don't worry, this isn't uncommon.

The best answer you can give for [itex]\theta[/itex] to
    [tex]sin(\theta)=\frac{1}{4}[/tex]

Is: [tex]\theta=arcsin(\frac{1}{4})\approx 14.48^o[/tex]

this answer is just an acute angle, and I'm sure you're aware that there are more (actually, infinite) values of [itex]\theta[/itex] that satisfy this result? :smile:

4. Jun 21, 2009 #3
    thanks... but I did mean exactly what I wrote 0.5^0.5, which equates to a value around .71something or other

5. Jun 21, 2009 #4

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Yeah I thought so. It just put me off when you wrote:
    and the value .71 something IS [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex] and isn't 1/2^2 :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook