1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Trigonometry help.

1. Feb 7, 2010 #1
    Hi
    Its the bit (c) where i am stuck at although it doesn't look much complicated, for all i know is that max value for cos =1 , so cos inverse becomes 0. The answer on the mark scheme is theta = 326 which i cant figure out.Thanks
    2. Relevant equations

10i5wcw.png

3. The attempt at a solution
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2010 #2

I'm just wondering, have you tried it? I would start by observing that

[tex]cos(\theta + \alpha) = cos(\theta) cos(\alpha) - sin(\theta) sin(\alpha)[/tex]

After solving for [tex]\alpha[/tex], you then can find a maximum [tex]cos(\theta+\alpha)[/tex] which when multiplied by R will give the answer to part (c).

If you need further help, post your work so far.

4. Feb 7, 2010 #3
    Ah how weird i just did another similar question of which i got the answers hmm anyway, here is what i did:
    i got the R value square root. 13 (by equating co-efficients of sin and cos),
    theta 33.7.
    P.S: Sorry i have yet to become latex friendly , if only someone could post me a tutorial on how to use it lol .

5. Feb 7, 2010 #4
    Note that [tex]cos(\theta+\alpha)=1[/tex] means that [tex]\theta=-\alpha[/tex]. However, the pattern repeats every [tex]360^o[/tex].

6. Feb 7, 2010 #5
    Oh! would i let R[tex]cos(\theta+\alpha)[/tex]= 1?

7. Feb 7, 2010 #6
    No problem. A good start with LaTex is http://frodo.elon.edu/tutorial/tutorial/". Others can be found by Googling "latex tutorial". At any rate, take care, 73s and clear skies.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  8. Feb 7, 2010 #7
    Thanks alot!:) for the link .

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  9. Feb 7, 2010 #8
    Not quite. Let [tex]cos(\theta+\alpha)=1[/tex]. That will give the maximum for [tex]3 cos(\theta) - 2 sin(\theta)[/tex] after it is multiplied by R. Since R is effectively a constant any maximum of [tex]cos(\theta+\alpha)[/tex] will be proportionate to [tex]R cos(\theta+\alpha)=3 cos(\theta) - 2 sin(\theta)[/tex].

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook