1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trigonometry Identities.

1. Jul 26, 2006 #1
    i need to prove the following identity

[tex]\sin^4 - \cos^4 = 1 - 2\cos^2[/tex]

i have tried approaching this identity by solving the RHS (right hand side) of the equation but this lead no where. however i am unsure on how to maniplulate the LHS of this equation because of the power of 4. would somebody please be able to give me a slight hint in which direction to head to prove this?
    many thanks,
    Pavadrin

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2006 #2
    Do you know how to factorize [tex]a^2-b^2[/tex]? How can you use this to help you factorize [tex]a^4-b^4[/tex]?

Also, the identity should have a variable (i.e. instead of [tex]sin^4[/tex], it should be [tex]sin^4x[/tex]).

All the best!

4. Jul 26, 2006 #3
    oh, my mistake i forgot the [itex]\theta[/itex] sign after the trigonometric functions. i am not sure on how top factorise, sorry :(

5. Jul 26, 2006 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Long, long, long, before you learn about trigonometry, you should have learned that a2- b2= (a- b)(a+ b). And if we replace a by x2 and b by y2, we get that
    x4- y4= (x2- y2)(x2+ y2). And what is x2+ y2 in this case?

6. Jul 26, 2006 #5
    can [itex]x^2 + y^2[/itex] be factorised? ive tried [itex](x + y)(x + y)[/itex], [itex](x - y)(x - y)[/itex], but neither have worked. am i completely missing the point here? its been a while since i have had to factorise. thanks

7. Jul 26, 2006 #6

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In this case you don't have to, since [itex]x^2=sin^2\theta[/itex] and [itex]y^2=cos^2\theta[/itex].

8. Jul 26, 2006 #7
    we don't need to factorize. Just use:

[tex] sin^{4} \theta = sin^{2} \theta \cdot sin^{2} \theta[/tex]

[tex] sin^{2} \theta = 1 - cos^{2} \theta[/tex]

[tex] (1-cos^{2} \theta) \cdot (1-cos^{2} \theta) = 1 - 2\cdot cos^{2} \theta + cos^{4} \theta[/tex]

Now substract [itex] cos^{4} \theta[/itex] and you got your proof.

9. Jul 26, 2006 #8
    okay thanks for the help people, sorry to be a little slow

10. Jul 26, 2006 #9
    In addition to what these people said: you should try to remember identities that will serve as shortcuts when proving identities.

like: Sin^2 + Cos^2=1 <= this may be the most important one

Sin^2= 1 - Cos^2

Cos^2= 1 - Sin^2

11. Jul 26, 2006 #10

VietDao29

Homework Helper

You're missing an angle here.
    It should read sin2x, not just sin2 :)

12. Jul 26, 2006 #11
    You're absolutely right--all those -1 from omitted thetas and xs from test questions still haven't sunk in :/...haha.

13. Jul 26, 2006 #12

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Unfortunately, I have had students declare that
    [tex]\frac{sin x}{sin y}= \frac{x}{y}[/tex]!

14. Jul 27, 2006 #13

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There aren't any parentheses, so it could just be that s, i, and n are all variables

15. Jul 27, 2006 #14

VietDao29

Homework Helper

... :rolleyes: *no comments* :)

16. Jul 27, 2006 #15

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, I used to think [tex]\frac{sin x}{x} = sin[/tex] but then I found out it's worse than that. It's not just any sin, it's an X-rated video filmed in someone's kitchen sinc.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?