1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trigonometry Identities.

1. Aug 16, 2006 #1
    hey i have a problem which im puzzled over. i im given that:
    [tex]\sin A = \frac{3}{5}[/tex]
    and i am asked to find exact values for:
    [tex]\sin 2A[/tex]
    [tex]\cos 2A[/tex]
    [tex]\tan 2A[/tex]
    where [tex]90^0 \leq A \leq 180^0[/tex] (the power to zero is the degree sign)
    i have gone about solving this by the use of a pythagorien (?) triple, therefore
    [tex]\cos A = \frac{4}{5}[/tex] and
    [tex]\tan A = \frac{3}{4}[/tex].
    however i do not understand how A can be greator than 90 since this is in a right angle triangle. thanks in advance for those who help,
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

The Pythagorean Identity states that: sin2x + cos2x = 1, where x is some angle.
    So in this case, we have:
    sin2A + cos2A = 1
    [tex]\Leftrightarrow \cos ^ 2 A = 1 - \sin ^ 2 A = 1 - \left( \frac{3}{5} \right) ^ 2 = \frac{16}{25}[/tex]
    So there will be 2 possible value for cosA:
    [tex]\Leftrightarrow \cos A = \pm \frac{4}{5}[/tex], right?
    Since (4 / 5)2, and (-4 / 5)2 both return 16 / 25.
    So how can we know what the value of cos A is? The problem gives us more information, that the angle A is between 90o, and 180o, i.e in the second quadrant. By looking at the unit circle, can you see what sign cos A takes? Is it positive or negative?
    After having cos A, one can use the Double-Angle Formulae to finish the problem:
    sin(2A) = 2 sin(A) cos(A)
    cos(2A) = cos2(A) - sin2(A) = 1 - 2sin2(A) = 2cos2(A) - 1.
    Ok, can you go from here? :)
  4. Aug 17, 2006 #3
    hmmmm.....i see. i think i understand that now, thanks,
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?