Trigonometry inequalities

In summary, the problem is to find the values of x that satisfy the inequality 3sin^2x - 3sinxcosx + 2cos^2x > 1. This can be rewritten as 2sin^2x - 3sinxcosx + cos^2x > 0. By using the identity sin^2x + cos^2x = 1, the equation can be simplified to (sinx - cosx)(2sinx - cosx) > 0. This leads to two cases: sinx - cosx > 0 and 2sinx - cosx > 0, or sinx - cosx < 0 and 2sinx - cos
Physicsissuef

Homework Statement

Find the values for x.

[tex]3sin^2x - 3sinxcosx + 2cos^2x > 1[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]3sin^2x - 3sinxcosx + 2cos^2x > 1[/tex]

[tex]3sin^2x - 3sinxcosx + 2cos^2x > sin^2x+cos^2x[/tex]

[tex]2sin^2x - 3sinxcosx + cos^2x > 0[/tex]

What to do next?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can use the same formula sin^2+cos^2=1 again. Now rewrite the equation in terms of only one trigonometric function.

I think it would be easier to just factor it the way it is.

What to do now?
If I try with [itex]sin^2+cos^2=1[/tex]

I would get:
[tex]sin^2x-3sinxcosx>-1[/tex]

Tom Mattson:
[tex](sinx-cosx)(2sinx-cosx)>0[/tex]
I am wondering why in my book says, I am giving quote:

my textbook said:
We have 2 cases, the 1-st one if [itex]cosx = 0[/itex] and the 2-nd if [itex]cosx \neq 0[/itex]

Hm...

Your book probably took a different approach. Doing it my way, the two cases are:

1.) [itex]\sin(x)-\cos(x)>0[/itex] and [itex]2\sin(x)-\cos(x)>0[/itex], or

2.) [itex]\sin(x)-\cos(x)<0[/itex] and [itex]2\sin(x)-\cos(x)<0[/itex].

But they have 3 solutions for x.
The first: [tex]x=\frac{\pi}{2}+k\pi[/tex]
The second: [tex]tgx<\frac{1}{2}[/tex]
The third: [tex]tgx>1[/tex]

In your case we have only 2:
[tex]tgx<\frac{1}{2}[/tex]
[tex]tgx>1[/tex]

No, Physicsissuef. When you rearranged the inequalities, you divided by [itex]\cos(x)[/itex]. That means you obtained results that are valid only for [itex]\cos(x)\neq 0[/itex]. To find out what happens when [itex]\cos(x)=0[/itex], you have to examine those points separately.

So, for which [itex]x[/itex] is [itex]\cos(x)=0[/itex], and do the inequalities hold for all such [itex]x[/itex]?

But both points for [itex]cosx=0[/itex] and [itex]\cos(x)\neq 0[/itex] are valid.
For pi/2 and -pi/2 cosx=0

Physicsissuef said:
But both points for [itex]cosx=0[/itex] and [itex]\cos(x)\neq 0[/itex] are valid.

That's exactly what I just told you. When you divided by [itex]\cos(x)[/itex], you obtained results that are valid only for [itex]\cos(x)\neq 0[/itex]. You then have to go back and find out if the inequalities hold for all [itex]x[/itex] such that [itex]\cos(x)=0[/itex].

but why not sin(x)=0, that's my question, or why not sin(x)=1 or cos(x)=1, etc.etc, how will I know which of all of this values to choose?

Physicsissuef said:
but why not sin(x)=0,

You didn't divide by [itex]\sin(x)[/itex], did you?

that's my question, or why not sin(x)=1 or cos(x)=1, etc.etc, how will I know which of all of this values to choose?

Question: What did you divide by?

Answer: [itex]\cos(x)[/itex].

Question: So what are the only values of [itex]x[/itex] for which that division is not defined?

Answer: The values of [itex]x[/itex] for which [itex]\cos(x)[/itex], the thing you divided by, is zero.

what means "the division is not defined"?
Do you mean [itex]\frac{sinx}{cosx}=tgx[/itex], so for cosx=0, there will be infinity, but if it is only cosx=0, there will be no infinity right?

Physicsissuef said:
But they have 3 solutions for x.
The first: [tex]x=\frac{\pi}{2}+k\pi[/tex]
The second: [tex]tgx<\frac{1}{2}[/tex]
The third: [tex]tgx>1[/tex]

Hi Physicsissuef! :smile:

Solutions 2 and 3 are in terms of tanx, and technically tanx is undefined at multiples of π/2.

For example, just below π/2, it's huge and positive, but just above π/2 it's huge and negative. So at π/2 it's both-infinity-and-minus-infinity … which doesn't help with tanx > 1, does it? :frown:

So they had to add Solution 1, just to cover all possibliities! :smile:

1. What are trigonometry inequalities?

Trigonometry inequalities are mathematical expressions that compare two or more trigonometric functions using inequality symbols such as >, <, ≥, and ≤. These inequalities are used to determine the relationship between the values of trigonometric functions at different angles.

2. What is the purpose of studying trigonometry inequalities?

The study of trigonometry inequalities helps us understand the behavior of trigonometric functions and their relationships with each other. It also allows us to solve problems involving real-life scenarios, such as finding the minimum and maximum values of a trigonometric function.

3. How do you solve trigonometry inequalities?

To solve trigonometry inequalities, we use algebraic techniques and properties of trigonometric functions. We also use knowledge of the unit circle and trigonometric identities to simplify and manipulate the expressions until we are left with a solution in terms of the variable.

4. What are the common mistakes when solving trigonometry inequalities?

Some common mistakes when solving trigonometry inequalities include forgetting to check for extraneous solutions, using incorrect trigonometric identities, and not simplifying the expressions properly. It is important to carefully follow the steps and be mindful of the restrictions on the domain of the trigonometric functions.

5. How are trigonometry inequalities used in real life?

Trigonometry inequalities are used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy. They are used to model and analyze real-life situations involving angles, distances, and heights. For example, architects use trigonometry inequalities to design stable and safe structures, while astronomers use them to calculate the position of celestial bodies.