How Can the Maclaurin Series Validate a Trigonometric Inequality?

In summary, the student is struggling to relate t with cos(t) in order to solve the problem of showing that 1-t^2/2 <= cos(t) <= 1 for 0 <= t <= 1. They are also unsure of how to find the value of cos(1) and if they can solve for 0 <= t <= pi/2 instead. The expert suggests using the Maclaurin series for cos(t) and notes that the question would be better suited for the Calculus & Beyond section.
Clara Chung

Homework Statement

show that 1-t^2/2 <=cos(t) <=1 for 0<=t<=1

Homework Equations

Trigonometry knowledge

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to relate t with cos(t), and I also try to find out cos(1), but there is no result, so how can I start with this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Clara Chung said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Trigonometry knowledge

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to relate t with cos(t), and I also try to find out cos(1), but there is no result, so how can I start with this problem.
Are you sure that it's 0 ≤ t ≤ 1 , and not 0 ≤ t ≤ π/2 ?

Yes, this is what the question said. How can you solve for 0 <= t <= pi/2 ?

Untitled.png

Clara Chung said:
Have you know about Maclaurin series yet, and in particular, the Maclaurin series for cos(t)?

From another question you posted, you are taking a calculus class. If so, both questions should have been posted in the Calculus & Beyond section, not the Precalculus section.

1. What is a trigonometry inequality?

A trigonometry inequality is a mathematical statement that compares two trigonometric expressions using the symbols <, >, ≤, or ≥. It is used to describe the relationship between different angles or sides of a triangle.

2. How do you solve a trigonometry inequality?

To solve a trigonometry inequality, you need to use the basic trigonometric identities and properties, along with algebraic techniques. You may also need to use a calculator to find the numerical values of trigonometric functions.

3. What are some common trigonometry inequalities?

Some common trigonometry inequalities include the sine inequality, cosine inequality, tangent inequality, and cotangent inequality. These involve comparing different trigonometric functions of the same angle.

4. Why are trigonometry inequalities important?

Trigonometry inequalities are important because they are used in various real-world applications, such as in engineering, physics, and navigation. They also help to understand the relationship between angles and sides of a triangle and can be used to solve trigonometric equations.

5. Can you give an example of solving a trigonometry inequality?

Sure, let's say we have the inequality sinθ < cosθ. We can solve this by using the fact that sinθ < cosθ when 0 < θ < π/4. So, the solution for this inequality is 0 < θ < π/4.