1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trigonometry math 30pure

1. Apr 26, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] trigonometry math 30pure

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a student is given the following sinusoidal

2 sin^2 (x)-5sinx=3

2. Relevant equations

1) Determine the solution to the equation , defined on the domain using a graphical approach over the domain 0 [tex]\leq[/tex] x [tex]\leq[/tex] 2 [tex]\pi[/tex]. Give solutions as exact values.
    2) Determine the solution to the equation , defined on the domain using a algebraic approach over the domain 0 [tex]\leq[/tex] x [tex]\leq[/tex] 2 [tex]\pi[/tex]. Give solutions as exact values.

3. The attempt at a solution

1) using my grafic calculator TI-83 plus i find this answers

• Equation: Y1= 2 sin^2 (x)-5sinx, Y2= 3
    • Window: zoom trig
    • I/Z= find intersection points.
    • Answer: x= (-5)([tex]\pi[/tex])/6, (-1)([tex]\pi[/tex])/6, (7)([tex]\pi[/tex])/6, (11)([tex]\pi[/tex])/6
    2) now in this point i need help to do it algrbraticaly, i cant figure out how to do it or find any other example in my notes...
    is it using the equation y= a Sin[b(x-c)]+d??
    thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2008 #2
    note: oh it looks like where there is a pi as if it was n^pi but is not ...is actually N x pie ..(the pie is timing the number infront of it.)

4. Apr 26, 2008 #3
    note that x only exists in the sin function, so you may do an appropriate substitution do get a more comfortable equation.

5. Apr 27, 2008 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi cathoderay! :smile:

(copy ² and π and anything else you like, for future use! … or, if you have a Mac, type alt-p for π. :smile:)

Forget your TI-83+, and go for the simple answer …

Hint: what is 2sin²x - 5sinx - 3 as a product (A sinx + B)(Csinx + D)? :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?