1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trigonometry question

1. Jan 17, 2007 #1
    The voltage E applied to the sending end of a high-pressure transmitting line is connected to the voltage e at the receiving end by the equation
    E^2=(e*cos(x) + a)^2 + (e*sin(x) + b)^2, where a and b are constants. Expand the right-hand side of the equation and by expressing a*cos(x) + b*sin(x) in the form R*cos(x + alpha) show that the maximum and minimum values of R, as x varies, are e +/-sqr(a^2 + b^2)? On expanding I get the following:

E^2 = e^2*((cos(x))^2 + (sin(x))^2) + a^2 + b^2 + 2*e*(a*cos(x) + b*sin(x))
    E^2 = e^2 + a^2 + b^2 + 2*e*sqr(a^2 + b^2)*(cos(alpha)*cos(x) + sin(alpha)*sin(x)); where,
    cos(alpha) = a/sqr(a^2 + b^2), and sin(alpha) = b/sqr(a^2 + b^2), and tan(alpha) = b/a. Therefore
    E^2 = e^2 + a^2 + b^2 +2*e*sqr(a^2 + b^2)(cos(x - alpha)), so I get R = 2*e*sqr(a^2 + b^2) not what it is claimed above. What is the next step? Many thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2007 #2
    Let me tidy up your equation.. otherwise no one is able to read that.....

Okay, I've finished my part... someone gonna help him.....

Last edited: Jan 18, 2007
  4. Jan 18, 2007 #3
    I believe you mis-understand what the question is asking......

The question is asking you to express [tex]acos(x) + bsin(x)[/tex] in term of [tex] Rcos(x+\alpha)[/tex], then show the maximum and minimum value of E is [tex] e+/-\sqrt{a^2+b^2}[/tex], That would be more make sense....

Last edited: Jan 18, 2007
  5. Jan 19, 2007 #4
    Thanks for taking the time to make my post readable chanvincent.

6. Jan 19, 2007 #5
    Expanding [tex] a cos(x) + b sin(x) [/]tex] I get :
    [tex] = \sqrt{a^2 + b^2}(a/\sqrt{a^2 + b^2}cos(x) + b/\sqrt{a^2 + b^2}sin(x))
    = \sqrt{a^2 + b^2}(sin(\alpha)cos(x) + cos(\alpha)sin(x))[/tex], where [tex] \(alpha)=tan(a/b)[/tex], this expands out to: [tex] \sqrt{a^2 + b ^2}(1/2( sin(\(alpha) + x) + sin(\alpha - x)) + 1/2( sin(\alpha + x) - sin(\alpha -x)))[/tex]
    , which reduces to [tex] \sqrt{a^2 + b^2}(sin(\alpha + x))[/tex].The question is how do you expand it to get [tex] R cos(x + \alpha)[\tex], and what do you do then.

(Edited by HallsofIvy to fix tex. John, you put [ \tex ] when you should have [ /tex ] to end the tex.)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?