Trigonometry question

• Thread starter John O' Meara
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trigonometry
In summary, the voltage E applied to the sending end of a high-pressure transmitting line is connected to the voltage e at the receiving end by the equation E^2=(e*cos(x) + a)^2 + (e*sin(x) + b)^2, where a and b are constants. The maximum and minimum values of R, as x varies, are e +/-sqr(a^2+b^2)?
John O' Meara
The voltage E applied to the sending end of a high-pressure transmitting line is connected to the voltage e at the receiving end by the equation
E^2=(e*cos(x) + a)^2 + (e*sin(x) + b)^2, where a and b are constants. Expand the right-hand side of the equation and by expressing a*cos(x) + b*sin(x) in the form R*cos(x + alpha) show that the maximum and minimum values of R, as x varies, are e +/-sqr(a^2 + b^2)? On expanding I get the following:

E^2 = e^2*((cos(x))^2 + (sin(x))^2) + a^2 + b^2 + 2*e*(a*cos(x) + b*sin(x))
E^2 = e^2 + a^2 + b^2 + 2*e*sqr(a^2 + b^2)*(cos(alpha)*cos(x) + sin(alpha)*sin(x)); where,
cos(alpha) = a/sqr(a^2 + b^2), and sin(alpha) = b/sqr(a^2 + b^2), and tan(alpha) = b/a. Therefore
E^2 = e^2 + a^2 + b^2 +2*e*sqr(a^2 + b^2)(cos(x - alpha)), so I get R = 2*e*sqr(a^2 + b^2) not what it is claimed above. What is the next step? Many thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let me tidy up your equation.. otherwise no one is able to read that...

John O' Meara said:
The voltage E applied to the sending end of a high-pressure transmitting line is connected to the voltage e at the receiving end by the equation
[tex] E^2=(ecos(x) + a)^2 + (esin(x) + b)^2[/tex], where a and b are constants. Expand the right-hand side of the equation and by expressing [tex]acos(x) + bsin(x)[/tex] in the form [tex]Rcos(x + \alpha)[/tex] show that the maximum and minimum values of R, as x varies, are [tex]e +/-\sqrt{a^2 + b^2}[/tex]? On expanding I get the following:

[tex] E^2 = e^2(cos^2(x) + sin^2(x)) + a^2 + b^2 + 2e(acos(x) + bsin(x))[/tex]
[tex] E^2 = e^2 + a^2 + b^2 + 2e\sqrt{a^2 + b^2}(cos(\alpha)cos(x) + sin(\alpha)sin(x))[/tex]; where,
[tex] cos(\alpha) = a/\sqrt{a^2 + b^2}[/tex], and [tex] sin(\alpha) = b/\sqrt{a^2 + b^2} [/tex] ,and [tex] tan(\alpha) = b/a[/tex]. Therefore
[tex] E^2 = e^2 + a^2 + b^2 +2e\sqrt{a^2 + b^2}(cos(x - \alpha))[/tex], so I get [tex]R = 2e\sqrt{a^2 + b^2}[/tex] not what it is claimed above. What is the next step? Many thanks.

Okay, I've finished my part... someone going to help him...

Last edited:
I believe you mis-understand what the question is asking...

The question is asking you to express [tex]acos(x) + bsin(x)[/tex] in term of [tex] Rcos(x+\alpha)[/tex], then show the maximum and minimum value of E is [tex] e+/-\sqrt{a^2+b^2}[/tex], That would be more make sense...

Last edited:
Thanks for taking the time to make my post readable chanvincent.

Expanding [tex] a cos(x) + b sin(x) [/]tex] I get :
[tex] = \sqrt{a^2 + b^2}(a/\sqrt{a^2 + b^2}cos(x) + b/\sqrt{a^2 + b^2}sin(x))
= \sqrt{a^2 + b^2}(sin(\alpha)cos(x) + cos(\alpha)sin(x))[/tex], where [tex] \(alpha)=tan(a/b)[/tex], this expands out to: [tex] \sqrt{a^2 + b ^2}(1/2( sin(\(alpha) + x) + sin(\alpha - x)) + 1/2( sin(\alpha + x) - sin(\alpha -x)))[/tex]
, which reduces to [tex] \sqrt{a^2 + b^2}(sin(\alpha + x))[/tex].The question is how do you expand it to get [tex] R cos(x + \alpha)[\tex], and what do you do then.

(Edited by HallsofIvy to fix tex. John, you put [ \tex ] when you should have [ /tex ] to end the tex.)

Last edited by a moderator:

What is trigonometry?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of triangles and their relationships between angle measures and side lengths.

What are the three main trigonometric ratios?

The three main trigonometric ratios are sine, cosine, and tangent. These ratios are used to relate the angles of a triangle to the lengths of its sides.

How is trigonometry used in real life?

Trigonometry is used in a variety of fields such as engineering, navigation, and astronomy. It is also used in construction to determine the height and angles of buildings and in medicine to calculate the angles of bones and joints.

What is the unit circle?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1 unit, centered at the origin of a coordinate system. It is used in trigonometry to relate the trigonometric functions to the coordinates on the circle.

How can trigonometry be applied to solve real-world problems?

Trigonometry can be used to solve problems involving right triangles, such as finding the height of a building or the distance between two objects. It can also be used to analyze the motion of objects, such as projectiles and pendulums, and to calculate angles and distances in navigation and surveying.