Solve Trigonometry Equation | 2sin3a=sqrt(2) | Geometrical vs Symbolic Methods

In summary, the conversation discusses solving the equation 2*sin3a=sqrt(2) and finding the six solutions for a using geometrical methods. It also mentions the possibility of solving it symbolically using arcsine and provides a general solution for equations with sin and cos terms.
chemistry1
Hi, I have the following equation :

2*sin3a=sqrt(2)

I was able to solve it in a geometrical way(giving 6 solutions.) but I have no idea on how to solve it in a symbolic way...(which would take clearly less time to do ) Is there any way ?

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
If you know how to apply the arcsine, sure.

Could you develop please ?I know arcsine... ( btw, it's from 0 to 2pi for the solutions)

chemistry1 said:
Could you develop please ?I know arcsine... ( btw, it's from 0 to 2pi for the solutions)

If sin(θ) = a, where -1 <= a <= 1; then

arcsin(a) = θ, where θ is the principal angle

Do you happen to know an angle for which the sine is 1/√2?

chemistry1 said:
Hi, I have the following equation :

2*sin3a=sqrt(2)

I was able to solve it in a geometrical way(giving 6 solutions.) but I have no idea on how to solve it in a symbolic way...(which would take clearly less time to do ) Is there any way ?

thank you
The point you seem to be missing is that if you divide both sides by 2 you have
[tex]sin(3a)= \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}= \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]
(hence haruspex's question)

Perhaps it would make more sense as "solve [itex]sin(\theta)= \sqrt{2}/2[/itex] for [itex]\theta[/itex]". Of course once you have found [itex]\theta[/itex], solve [itex]3a= \theta[/itex].

(In order to find all a between 0 and [itex]2\pi[/itex], you may want to find all [itex]\theta= 3a[/itex] between 0 and [itex]6\pi[/itex].)

There is a way that always works: if you can write the right hand side (##\tfrac{1}{\sqrt{2}}## in this case) as sin(b), then your equation is of the form

sin(3a) = sin(b)

and the general solution is

$$3a = b + 2 \pi k, \text{ or } 3a = \pi - b + 2 \pi k$$

for all ##k = 0, 1, -1, 2, -2, 3, -3, \ldots##.

Similarly the general solution for cos(x) = cos(y) is

$$x = y + 2 \pi k, \text{ or } x = - y + 2 \pi k$$

(the only difference being the ##\pi## in the second branch).

1. How do I solve a trigonometry equation?

To solve a trigonometry equation, you need to use the principles and formulas of trigonometry. First, simplify the equation by factoring or using trigonometric identities. Then, use inverse trigonometric functions to isolate the variable. Finally, solve for the variable using basic algebraic techniques.

2. What is the difference between geometrical and symbolic methods in solving trigonometry equations?

Geometrical methods involve using diagrams and geometric relationships to solve trigonometry equations. This can be helpful in visualizing the problem and finding a solution. Symbolic methods, on the other hand, use algebraic manipulations and trigonometric identities to solve equations. This approach is more abstract and relies on mathematical principles rather than visual aids.

3. How do I know which method to use when solving a trigonometry equation?

The method you use to solve a trigonometry equation will depend on the specific problem and your personal preference. Some equations may be easier to solve using a geometrical approach, while others may require the use of symbolic methods. It is always a good idea to try both methods and see which one works best for you.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve a trigonometry equation?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve trigonometry equations. Most scientific calculators have built-in trigonometric functions and inverse trigonometric functions, making it easier to solve equations. However, it is important to understand the principles behind the equation and not rely solely on the calculator.

5. Are there any tips for solving trigonometry equations?

One helpful tip for solving trigonometry equations is to always check your solutions. Since trigonometric functions are periodic, there may be multiple solutions to an equation. Also, practice using the trigonometric identities and formulas to simplify the equations and make them easier to solve. Additionally, drawing a diagram or using a table of values can aid in visualizing the problem and finding a solution.