Trigonometry sin cos tan Question

In summary, to find the value(s) for tan(theta), use the fact that sin(theta) = 1/3 and cos(theta) < 0. Take the arc sin of 1/3 to find the angle in the second quadrant. Then, use the definition of tangent theta to find the value(s).
If Sin(theta) = 1/3 and cos(theta) < 0, find the value(s) for tan(theta)

How do I do this? Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
recall the emanings, with a picture, of these functions sin, cos, tan, using a unit circle. you may be able to just see it.

Do you know that sin2(&theta;)+ cos2(&theta;)= 1? Since you know sin(&theta;)= 1/3, you can use that to find cos(&theta;). Now, how is tan(&theta;) defined?

404 said:
How do I do this? Thanks.

Take the arc sin of 1/3 - this will give you the angle, but it will be the principle angle (first quadrant). But, since Cos theta <0, you know it can't be in the first quadrant or fourth quadrant, so it must be in either the second or third quadrant. But, since sin theta is >0, it must be in the second quadrant. You should be able to get the correct angle from this info, and therefore the correct cosine and then - as was hinted before - remember the definition of tangent theta.

I got it now, Thanks guys :)

1. What is the difference between sine, cosine, and tangent?

Sine, cosine, and tangent are all trigonometric functions used to calculate the relationship between the sides and angles of a triangle. Sine (sin) is the ratio of the opposite side to the hypotenuse, cosine (cos) is the ratio of the adjacent side to the hypotenuse, and tangent (tan) is the ratio of the opposite side to the adjacent side.

2. How do I use trigonometry to solve for missing sides or angles in a triangle?

To solve for missing sides or angles in a triangle using trigonometry, you can use the sine, cosine, or tangent function depending on what information you have. If you know two sides and the included angle, you can use the Law of Cosines. If you know two angles and a side, you can use the Law of Sines. If you know two sides and the opposite angle, you can use the Law of Tangents.

3. Can trigonometry be used in real-life applications?

Yes, trigonometry is used in various fields such as engineering, navigation, physics, architecture, and astronomy. It is used to calculate distances, heights, and angles in real-life scenarios.

4. What is the unit circle and how is it related to trigonometry?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1 unit. In trigonometry, it is used to define the values of sine, cosine, and tangent for any angle. The x-coordinate of a point on the unit circle represents the cosine value and the y-coordinate represents the sine value for that angle.

5. How can I remember the trigonometric ratios?

One way to remember the trigonometric ratios is by using the mnemonic "SOH-CAH-TOA", where "SOH" stands for "Sine is Opposite over Hypotenuse", "CAH" stands for "Cosine is Adjacent over Hypotenuse", and "TOA" stands for "Tangent is Opposite over Adjacent". Another way is by practicing and using them frequently in problem-solving.