Trigonometry - Solving Trigonometric Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses how to rewrite the expression ##-sin 2x + \sqrt{3}cos 2x## as ##A \sin(2x+\phi)## without using the formula ##a sin (x) + b cos (x) = c sin (x+v), \ \ c=\sqrt{a^2+b^2} \ ,\ \ \tan v = \frac{b}{a}##. The solution is to use the simpler approach of writing the expression as ##2sin(2x + 2\pi/3)##. It is mentioned that it does not matter which value of A is used as long as it corresponds to the correct angle.
Rectifier
Gold Member
The problem

I am trying to write ##-sin 2x + \sqrt{3} \cos 2x ## as ## A \sin(2x+\phi)## without using this formula below ##a sin (x) + b cos (x) = c sin (x+v), \ \ c=\sqrt{a^2+b^2} \ ,\ \ \tan v = \frac{b}{a}##

The attempt

##A \sin(2x+\phi) = A \cos(\phi) \sin(2x) + A \sin(\phi) \cos(2x) ## comparison with the starting expression.

[tex]\begin{cases} A \cos(\phi) = -1 \\ A \sin(\phi) = \sqrt{3} \end{cases}[/tex]

## \phi : ##
[tex]\frac{A \sin(\phi)}{A \cos(\phi)} = \tan \phi = \frac{\sqrt{3}}{-1} = - \sqrt{3} \\ \tan -\phi = \sqrt{3} \\ \phi = -\frac{\pi}{3} + \pi n, \ \ n \in \mathbb{Z}[/tex]

For ## n=0 ## -> ##-\frac{\pi}{3}## gives $$A \sin(-\frac{\pi}{3}) = \sqrt{3} \\ -A \sin(\frac{\pi}{3}) = \sqrt{3} \\ -A \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}=\sqrt{3} \\ A = -2$$

##n = 1## from above gives ## \phi = \frac{2 \pi}{3} ##
$$ A \sin(\phi) = \sqrt{3} \\ A \sin(\frac{2 \pi}{3}) = \sqrt{3}$$

I can rewrite ## \sin(\frac{2 \pi}{3}) ## as ## 2 \sin(\frac{\pi}{3}) \cos(\frac{\pi}{3}) = 2 \cdot \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} \cdot \frac{1}{2} = \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}##

$$ A \sin(\frac{2 \pi}{3}) = \sqrt{3} \\ A \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} = \sqrt{3} \\ A = 2$$

Which A should I use in my answer? And why?

Physics news on Phys.org
An easier approach
$$-sin 2x + \sqrt{3}cos 2x = 2\left ( -\frac{1}{2}sin 2x+\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} cos 2x\right )=2\left ( cos (2\pi/3) sin 2x+sin(2\pi/3)cos 2x\right )=2sin(2x + 2 \pi/3)$$

Likes Chestermiller and Rectifier
Thank you for that elegant solution. I solved the problem myself just now, it does not really matter which A I use as long as I use it with the corresponding angle, since ## -2 \sin(2x- \frac{\pi}{3}) = 2 \sin(2x + \frac{2 \pi}{3}) ## .

What is a sinusoid in trigonometry?

A sinusoid in trigonometry is a mathematical function that represents a periodic oscillation, such as sound or light waves. It is often described as a sine or cosine wave and is used to model various natural phenomena.

What is a unit circle in trigonometry?

A unit circle in trigonometry is a circle with a radius of 1 unit that is centered at the origin of a Cartesian coordinate system. It is used to visualize and understand the relationship between the sine, cosine, and tangent functions.

How do you graph a sinusoid in trigonometry?

To graph a sinusoid in trigonometry, you first need to determine the amplitude, period, and phase shift of the function. Then, plot points on the coordinate plane using the values of the function at specific angles. Finally, connect the plotted points to create a smooth curve.

What are the applications of sinusoids in real life?

Sinusoids have many applications in real life, such as modeling the motion of a pendulum, analyzing the behavior of alternating current circuits, and predicting the tides. They are also used in music and sound engineering to create different types of waves and frequencies.

How are sinusoids related to triangles in trigonometry?

Sinusoids are related to triangles in trigonometry through the sine, cosine, and tangent functions, which are defined in terms of the sides of a right triangle. These functions can also be used to solve for missing sides and angles in a triangle using trigonometric ratios.