Trigonometry slope problem .

In summary, the conversation discusses using trigonometry to calculate the amount of force needed to keep a 2000 lb car from rolling down a ramp of 30 degrees. The conversation also mentions the use of weight instead of mass, the coefficient of friction between the tires and the ramp, and the importance of creating a free-body diagram. The final formula for calculating the force needed to prevent the car from rolling down the ramp is also provided.
Rainydays253
I am really stumped! Using only Trigonometry, I am suppose to calculate the amount of force that is needed to keep a 2000 lb car from rolling down a ramp of 30 degrees.

Am I on the right track when I say: x=2000cos 30? Then what?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well the basic idea is good but I don't know how you came up with cos. If you look at a scetch you should be abel to find the right function for the force perralel to the slope. And just a small hint when your searching for a force it's usually a good idea to use weight instead of mass (I'm not very good at non-metric units soo I don't really know wheater lb steands for mass or weight).

Hope this helps.

PS. Maybe this thread would be more sutible for the Science Education Zone.

Last edited:
Hmm...what is the coefficient of friction between the tires and the incline?

Assuming the ramp is frictionless, your "force" must contain a component parallel to the ramp, with magnitude:

[tex] F = \left( {2000 \, {\text{lb}}} \right)\sin \frac{\pi }{6} = 1000\,{\text{lb}} [/tex]

Basically, gravity will exert 1000 lb down the ramp. To keep the car from rolling down, you must exert a force of 1000 lb UP the ramp (parallel to the ramp, antiparallel to the component of weight parallel to the ramp).

However, if you do have friction, then to prevent rolling down the ramp (NOT skidding!), you must find the coefficient of 'static' friction between the tires and the ramp. Now, let [itex] \mu _S [/itex] represent this value. Thus, the force needed to prevent the car from rolling down is:

[tex] F = 2000\,{\text{lb}}\left( {\sin \frac{\pi }{6} - \mu _S \cos \frac{\pi }{6}} \right) = 1000\,{\text{lb}}\left( {1 - \mu _S \sqrt 3 } \right) [/tex]

**In the direction antiparallel to the weight component parallel to the ramp.

Well the basic idea is good but I don't know how you came up with cos. If you look at a scetch you should be abel to find the right function for the force perralel to the slope. And just a small hint when your searching for a force it's usually a good idea to use weight instead of mass (I'm not very good at non-metric units soo I don't really know wheater lb steands for mass or weight).
:smile: What basic idea? Also, by "sketch", do you mean a free-body diagram?
Anyway, those are always helpful (Unless you're in a pinch for time!...or the problem is just basic).
Also "lb" stands for pounds, which are a customary unit of weight, I believe, according to
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=lb
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=pound

Last edited:
Thanks for the explination.

What is the definition of slope in trigonometry?

The slope in trigonometry is the measure of the steepness of a line. It represents the change in the y-coordinate over the change in the x-coordinate.

How do you find the slope of a line in trigonometry?

To find the slope of a line in trigonometry, you need to use the ratio of the change in the y-coordinate over the change in the x-coordinate. This is also known as the tangent of the angle formed by the line and the x-axis.

What is the difference between positive and negative slope in trigonometry?

A positive slope in trigonometry indicates that the line is increasing from left to right, while a negative slope indicates that the line is decreasing from left to right. This can also be seen as the angle formed by the line and the x-axis being acute for a positive slope and obtuse for a negative slope.

Can the slope of a line in trigonometry be greater than 1?

Yes, the slope of a line in trigonometry can be greater than 1. This means that the line is steeply increasing, and the angle formed by the line and the x-axis is acute.

How is slope used in real-life applications?

Slope is used in many real-life applications, such as engineering, architecture, and navigation. It can be used to determine the angle of elevation or depression, calculate the rate of change, and design structures with specific inclines. It is also used in trigonometric functions to model and solve real-world problems.