Trigonometry without sines cosines or tangents?

• Thread starter MaxS
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

http://physorg.com/news6555.html

:!!) :!!) :!!) :!!) :!!)

could this be the second coming?

Answers and Replies

I want tell you that the people wo creat that page really know how important colors play their roles in web-surfers' eyes. Simple but good looking.
But I don't find it fun at all, perhaps because I am not well today.

arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
lol damn =\

Mk
Damn it like the Hoover Dam, V shoty, V!

eax
I just saw that. Here is a pdf explaining the technique:

http://web.maths.unsw.edu.au.nyud.n...rs/Chapter1.pdf [Broken]
How sneeky of him to sneek in sine, cosine, tanjent and not referencing them in his concept :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Hurkyl
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
To be fair, the mathematics is not nonsense: it's the suggestions that this is a new thing, and that it's clearly superior to classical trigonometry.

Once you learn the five main rules of rational trigonometry and how to simply apply them, you realise that classical trigonometry represents a misunderstanding of geometry.
What irks me most is this quote. "Classical trigonometry" has been thoroughly proven correct, and he acts like it is wrong. What he's done is not a new thing: he's just using a few changes of variables.

arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Hurkyl said:
To be fair, the mathematics is not nonsense: it's the suggestions that this is a new thing, and that it's clearly superior to classical trigonometry.
I stand corrected; I should have called it "silly" instead.
There's a big difference between a correct, but silly approach and a nonsensical approach.

Last edited:
Tom Mattson
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Mathematics students have cause to celebrate. A University of New South Wales academic, Dr Norman Wildberger, has rewritten the arcane rules of trigonometry and eliminated sines, cosines and tangents from the trigonometric toolkit.
I'd have thought that this idea is so bad that it could only have come from the American educational system, but lookee there I was wrong.