Trigonometry without sines cosines or tangents?

In summary: The University of New South Wales academic, Dr Norman Wildberger, has rewritten the arcane rules of trigonometry and eliminated sines, cosines and tangents from the trigonometric toolkit.This is a great idea that will make mathematics more accessible to students.
MaxS
Physics news on Phys.org
I want tell you that the people wo creat that page really know how important colors play their roles in web-surfers' eyes. Simple but good looking.
But I don't find it fun at all, perhaps because I am not well today.

lol damn =\

Damn it like the Hoover Dam, V shoty, V!

I just saw that. Here is a pdf explaining the technique:

http://web.maths.unsw.edu.au.nyud.n...rs/Chapter1.pdf
How sneeky of him to sneek in sine, cosine, tanjent and not referencing them in his concept :D

Last edited by a moderator:
To be fair, the mathematics is not nonsense: it's the suggestions that this is a new thing, and that it's clearly superior to classical trigonometry.

Once you learn the five main rules of rational trigonometry and how to simply apply them, you realize that classical trigonometry represents a misunderstanding of geometry.
What irks me most is this quote. "Classical trigonometry" has been thoroughly proven correct, and he acts like it is wrong. What he's done is not a new thing: he's just using a few changes of variables.

Hurkyl said:
To be fair, the mathematics is not nonsense: it's the suggestions that this is a new thing, and that it's clearly superior to classical trigonometry.
I stand corrected; I should have called it "silly" instead.
There's a big difference between a correct, but silly approach and a nonsensical approach.

Last edited:
Mathematics students have cause to celebrate. A University of New South Wales academic, Dr Norman Wildberger, has rewritten the arcane rules of trigonometry and eliminated sines, cosines and tangents from the trigonometric toolkit.

I'd have thought that this idea is so bad that it could only have come from the American educational system, but lookee there I was wrong.

1. What is Trigonometry without sines, cosines, or tangents?

Trigonometry without sines, cosines, or tangents is a branch of mathematics that focuses on the relationships between angles and sides of a triangle. It uses alternative methods and functions to solve trigonometric problems without relying on the traditional trigonometric functions.

2. What are some alternative methods used in Trigonometry without sines, cosines, or tangents?

Some alternative methods used in Trigonometry without sines, cosines, or tangents include the Law of Cosines, the Law of Sines, and the Pythagorean Theorem. These methods use different formulas and geometric principles to solve trigonometric problems.

3. Why would one use Trigonometry without sines, cosines, or tangents?

Trigonometry without sines, cosines, or tangents may be used in situations where traditional trigonometric functions are not applicable or too complicated to use. It can also provide a different perspective and approach to solving trigonometric problems.

4. What are some real-world applications of Trigonometry without sines, cosines, or tangents?

Trigonometry without sines, cosines, or tangents has various real-world applications, such as in navigation and surveying, where it is used to calculate distances and angles. It is also used in architecture and engineering to determine the dimensions and angles of structures.

5. Is Trigonometry without sines, cosines, or tangents a replacement for traditional trigonometry?

No, Trigonometry without sines, cosines, or tangents is not a replacement for traditional trigonometry. It is an alternative approach that can be used in certain situations, but it does not replace the important principles and applications of traditional trigonometry.