How to Solve a Trigonometry Word Problem Involving Distances

In summary, The conversation discusses finding the length of PQ and drawing the road incline from the side. The speaker also mentions the difference between heights and the need to calculate the angle while taking into consideration the distances on a map.
nmnna
Homework Statement
A map shows a straight road crossing two contour levels 100ft., 200ft. at P, Q. The length of PQ is 1.2 inches, and the scale of the map is 4 inches to the mile. What average angle does the road make with the horizontal?
Relevant Equations
$$\tan(\alpha) = \frac{opposite \ side}{adjacent \ side}$$
The sketch:
1616055720828.png

First of all find the length of PQ on i.e
$$4 \ inches - 1 \ mile$$
$$1.2 \ inches - x \ mile$$
$$x = \frac{1.2}{4} = 0.3 \ mile = 1584 \ ft$$

Now, I do not understand where shall I draw the horizontal, and the connection between the lengths of the contours, so I'll be grateful if you give me some hints for solving this problem.
Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you draw the road incline from the side?

PeroK said:
Why don't you draw the road incline from the side?
1616059506536.png

Like this?

No. From the side. So you can see the road going uphill!

PeroK said:
No. From the side. So you can see the road going uphill!
You mean from the opposite side? Sorry for my dumbness..

A map is a "Plan". You want an "End Elevation" or "Side Elevation":

PeroK said:
A map is a "Plan". You want an "End Elevation" or "Side Elevation":

I think I understand now.
So the difference between the heights of the road is 100, I have the length of PQ, what I need to do now is to calculate the angle, right?

nmnna said:
I think I understand now.
So the difference between the heights of the road is 100, I have the length of PQ, what I need to do now is to calculate the angle, right?
Note that the distances on a map (you should be able to find out this sort of thing yourself from the Internet) are horizontal distances, not the hypoteneuse of slopes.

Likes nmnna
PeroK said:
Note that the distances on a map (you should be able to find out this sort of thing yourself from the Internet) are horizontal distances, not the hypoteneuse of slopes.
Okey, sorry for the trouble

1. What is Trigonometry?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the relationships between the sides and angles of triangles. It is used to solve problems involving angles and distances in various fields such as engineering, physics, and navigation.

2. How is Trigonometry used in real life?

Trigonometry is used in many real-life applications, including architecture, surveying, and astronomy. It is also used in fields such as engineering, navigation, and physics to calculate distances, angles, and forces.

3. What are the basic trigonometric functions?

The basic trigonometric functions are sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions are used to calculate the relationships between the sides and angles of a right triangle.

4. How do you solve word problems involving trigonometry?

To solve word problems involving trigonometry, you must first identify the given information and what needs to be solved. Then, you can use the appropriate trigonometric function and set up an equation to solve for the unknown value.

5. What are the common tools used in trigonometry?

The common tools used in trigonometry include a calculator, protractor, and ruler. These tools are used to measure angles and distances, and to perform calculations involving trigonometric functions.