1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trigonometyry for dummies

1. Oct 19, 2009 #1
    hey, has anybody on these forums used the for dummies series to get them through a math class? ive heard great things (from online reviews not in real life luls) about the calculus for dummies book. i am struggling with basic graphing of radians, and my class is moving fast, we are into finding reference angles, and a whole bunch of other things that i dont even remember that we discussed today. Anyway, i plan on using my school text book as well, but ive heard that ditching the school text book for a dummed down dummies book might help me much more. i have heard that their are typos in the for dummies book, which isnt good.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0764569031

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2009 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

You should definitely continue to use your class textbook; do NOT "ditch" the book. You might try some other book as a supplement, even a "Dummies" book, but only as a supplement. A guess is that nothing is wrong with your class textbook; you are just unfamiliar with Trigonometry.

You may find a good tutorial on Trigonometry in a website "...oakroadsystems...", I forgot the actual web address.

4. Oct 19, 2009 #3
    well to be fair, ive been really slacking off this semester, and because of that i only have a B in this class. we just finished the college algebra portion of the course, and have been doing trig for a week or so (first quiz is on tuesday). anyway my point is, i haven't really used my current text book at all, because like ive said ive been slacking (not doing hw,) so i dont really know if my book is good or not. I just assumed, that the for dummies book, would make trig more tolerable, because i am definitely gonna start getting my *** into gear for this class, so i can hopefully get an A, although at this point its looking grim. im probably functioning at a 30 percent level. I guess i will consider purchasing it as a supplement to my text book, and actually use them both i suppose./

ill go check that site out!

5. Oct 20, 2009 #4

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Instead of looking for or trying other resources, use your current class textbook and study the assigned Trigonometry parts with strict regular, daily attention. You did not say in your first post on this topic that you were slacking off in your study. You first need self-control, not alternative sources or materials such as the "Dummies" book.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook