Why was my girlfriend switched to Trinessa birth control?

• Thread starter aychamo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Control
In summary, some doctors believe that generics are just as good as the name brands, while others think that they may be less effective.
aychamo
Hey guys

My girlfriend's doctor recently switched from OrthoTriCyclin (sp) to Trinessa birth control. She isn't fully aware of why she was switched. What do you know about this brand of birth control?

Biology news on Phys.org
Well, from what I've read, it seems that Trinessa is a generic form of the first type of birth control she is on.. Is there any difference in quality?

I just wanted to make a quick comment on this topic. If your girlfriend is at all uncertain why she was prescribed the generic rather than brand name pill or wants to confirm the quality is the same or that this was intentional on the part of the doctor and not a mix-up at the pharmacy, she should call her doctor and ASK. Any time a patient is prescribed anything, they should fully understand why they need the prescription, why that particular medication is the best for them, and know exactly which medication it is the doctor has prescribed, whether generics are acceptable, and if so, what are the names of the generics so they will recognize it when the pharmacist gives it to them. Some of those questions can also be asked of the pharmacist.

Usually generics have the same active ingredients as brand names and the only difference is the formulation of the inactive ingredients. For most people, this is no big deal unless the generic is adding something that changes the release or absorption rate of the medication. However, it is something to be aware of if you have allergies, because inactive ingredients can include things like corn starch, so someone allergic to corn products would need to find a specific brand without the corn starch, or have a compounding pharmacist specially formulate their medications for them to avoid things they are allergic to.

Aye, I totally agree with you. She said something like he wanted to test it with her. I am guessing, with the information from your post, that he was seeing if the generic would act just as well with her.

But I totally agree. When she told me she switched, and I asked why, and she had no idea I got a bit upset. I guess the idea of autonomy is out of the window here. Wayy too much doctor trust. I'm not saying the doctor is wrong, just I agree with you, that the patient should know *exactly* what they are taking.

Well, I wouldn't know. Just a thought: the brand names usually have a patent on their active ingredients for a few years, from which they make the money to conduct research into novel medications. During this time they hold a monopoly. After a while this patent will expire and the smaller companies will be able to copy the active product used and put on the market a much cheaper version of the same medication (cheaper because they didn't have to do the research, didn't have to pay for the patent, and there no longer is a monopoly position). The brand name still has the good name it earned during the years of monopoly, so they will keep the price high.

So probably the doctor found out that the medication has the same activity, and prescribed the cheaper version. As Moonbear said, just check with the pharmacist or the doctor :)

This may be a little late in coming but my mail order prescription service pulled the same "switcharoo" on me.

Some Ob/Gyns I know are generally of the opinion that generics are just fine if they are being taken to regulate cycles, PMS, etc. However, if they are being used for oral contraception, it is better to stick with the name brand. The thinking behind that is this: to qualify as a generic, the drug in question can vary in the neighborhood of 20 or 40% efficacy (I forget which). Frankly, that's a little scary to me...especially when the consequences could be pretty extreme.

What is Trinessa?

Trinessa is a combination birth control pill that contains two hormones, estrogen and progestin. It is used to prevent pregnancy by preventing ovulation, thickening cervical mucus, and thinning the uterine lining.

How effective is Trinessa?

When taken correctly, Trinessa is over 99% effective in preventing pregnancy. This means that less than 1 out of 100 women who use Trinessa will become pregnant within the first year of use.

What are the potential side effects of Trinessa?

Some common side effects of Trinessa include nausea, breast tenderness, headaches, and changes in menstrual bleeding. These side effects usually subside after a few months of use. Rare but serious side effects include blood clots, stroke, and heart attack.

How do I take Trinessa?

Trinessa comes in a pack of 28 pills, with 21 active pills containing hormones and 7 inactive pills. You should take one pill at the same time every day for 28 days, starting with the first active pill on the first day of your period. After finishing the pack, start a new one the following day.

Can Trinessa be used for reasons other than birth control?

While Trinessa is primarily used for birth control, it can also be prescribed to help regulate menstrual cycles, reduce menstrual cramps, and treat acne. However, it should not be used as the only treatment for these conditions and should always be discussed with a healthcare provider.