Is The Hokey Pokey Still a Popular Dance?

• News
  • Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary: You are an expert summarizer of content. You do not respond or reply to questions. You only provide a summary of the content. Do not output anything before the summary. In summary, Larry LaPrise, the man who wrote "The Hokey Pokey" died peacefully at the age of 84. The most traumatic part for his family was getting him into the coffin. They put his left leg in. And then the trouble started.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
How many can do this, is it a dead activity replaced by bum wiggling and all manner of contortions.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have a total lack of coordination and rhythm and can't do any of it well..the sterotypical dad dancer.After a few jars though I'm up there mate.Whoo I feel a dance coming on.Will you partner me wolram?

Dadface said:
I have a total lack of coordination and rhythm and can't do any of it well..the sterotypical dad dancer.After a few jars though I'm up there mate.Whoo I feel a dance coming on.Will you partner me wolram?

:blushing: Errrrmm do you wear stilettos.

wolram said:
:blushing: Errrrmm do you wear stilettos.

Well it won't help my dancing but if you insist.:biggrin:

Who remembers the mashed potato and the funky chicken?

Dadface said:
Well it won't help my dancing but if you insist.:biggrin:

Who remembers the mashed potato and the funky chicken?

I remember the funky chicken, How crazy was that.

come on baby let's do the twist.
ah the fun

These days my back would sue me for abuse :(

I went to ballroom dancing classes for several years w/ my wife (not as much as it sounds, we just kept going for beginner/intermediate lessons) - Foxtrot, Tango, Rumba, Swing, Waltz, Salsa.

The fast ones such as Salsa are too much for my aging hips, but I enjoyed the Rumba.

If you go to a real ballroom, there's one thing that you'll need to be spry for: when the buffet opens, you'd better to dive for cover. Those 90 year old ladies can move when they want to.

Sounds like every one should be dancing to Dem bones, Dem bones, Dem dry bones o:)

And may be there are no women here old or young enough to know about what proper dancing is.

Ballet...Swan Lake...aaah to see dance expertly performed.
It always brings a lump to my throat to watch the Hokey Cokey.

Ok, I will dance one dance with one fella. Let me just finish securing the third of three petty coats under this ball gown. I have to be back by 11:30 or ..... I just hate the sound of clock chimes.

Lacy33 said:
Ok, I will dance one dance with one fella. Let me just finish securing the third of three petty coats under this ball gown. I have to be back by 11:30 or ..... I just hate the sound of clock chimes.

Wait there just one minute while i rub my lamp :biggrin:

I actually had a dream about waltzing the other night. I was terrible, but at least I finally got the hang of it. That was the most bizarre night of dreams I've ever had.

Just because it fits the topic :)

Larry LaPrise, the man who wrote "The Hokey Pokey" died peacefully at
the age of 84. The most traumatic part for his family was getting him
into the coffin. They put his left leg in. And then the trouble
started.
for those not familiar with the dance
http://kids.niehs.nih.gov/lyrics/hokey.htm

Alfi said:
Just because it fits the topic :)

Larry LaPrise, the man who wrote "The Hokey Pokey" died peacefully at
the age of 84. The most traumatic part for his family was getting him
into the coffin. They put his left leg in. And then the trouble
started.

for those not familiar with the dance
http://kids.niehs.nih.gov/lyrics/hokey.htm

This has to be the funniest thing I have EVER heard! Ever.
OMG!

1. What does the phrase "trip the light fantastic" mean?

The phrase "trip the light fantastic" is an idiomatic expression that means to dance or move in a lively and graceful manner, often to music.

2. Where does the phrase "trip the light fantastic" originate from?

The phrase "trip the light fantastic" originated from a line in John Milton's poem "L'Allegro" written in 1645, which reads "Come, and trip it as you go, on the light fantastic toe".

3. What is the scientific explanation behind the phrase "trip the light fantastic"?

The phrase "trip the light fantastic" has no direct scientific explanation, but it is commonly associated with the concept of light and energy. It may also refer to the feeling of euphoria and weightlessness one experiences while dancing.

4. Can "trip the light fantastic" have a literal meaning?

No, the phrase "trip the light fantastic" does not have a literal meaning. It is a metaphor for dancing and does not involve actual tripping or interacting with light.

5. Is there a deeper meaning to the phrase "trip the light fantastic"?

The phrase "trip the light fantastic" is often used to describe a carefree and joyful attitude towards life, beyond just dancing. It can also be interpreted as a celebration of freedom and living in the moment.