Trip to Andromeda by transporter

• Thread starter Heidi M
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Andromeda
In summary, Samantha is beamed from Earth to the planet Zircon, two million light-years from Earth, and does not age during her trip.
Heidi M
I'm fulfilling my life-long dream of learning relativity theory by working through Taylor and Wheeler's Spacetime Physics. I've successfully made it through the first three chapters except for one problem, 1-10 on p. 23:

Samantha is beamed from Earth via a transporter to the planet Zircon (stationary with respect to the Earth) orbiting a star in the Andromeda Nebula, two million light-years from Earth. The time required for disassembling Samantha on Earth and reassembling her on Zircon is negligible as measured in the common rest frame of Transporter and Receiver.
Question: How much does Samantha age during her outward trip to Zircon?

Using the spacetime interval, the only (seemingly ridiculous) answer I can come up with is two million years. I would have guessed her to not have aged at all. I'm confused. Any help would be appreciated.

This is not homework. (I only wish I were back in school...)

Physics news on Phys.org
Heidi M said:
I'm fulfilling my life-long dream of learning relativity theory by working through Taylor and Wheeler's Spacetime Physics. I've successfully made it through the first three chapters except for one problem, 1-10 on p. 23:

Great!

How is Samantha beamed?

Heidi M said:
Using the spacetime interval, the only (seemingly ridiculous) answer I can come up with is two million years. I would have guessed her to not have aged at all. I'm confused. Any help would be appreciated.

The spacetime interval for information beamed at the speed of light is zero. Assuming Samantha is disassembled and only the information that is required to reassembler her is transmitted in the form of light waves, then your original hunch that she does not age at all is correct. That makes sense because she would be reassembled in the exact same state as when she was disassembled (if all goes to plan). So, as George said "How is Samantha beamed?".

P.S. The spacetime interval ds is (essentially if we ignore the c^2 scale factor) the proper time measured by a (possibly hypothetical) clock that is transported a distance dx in a time interval dt. When dx = dt as is the case for something moving at the speed of light, the spacetime interval ds = sqrt(dt^2-dx^2) = 0.

Last edited:
The problem states: "Assume that one thousand years from now a Transporter exists that reduces people and things to data (elementary bits of information) and transmits the data by light or radio signal to remote locations. There a Receiver uses the data to reassemble travelers and their equipment out of local raw materials."

I was thinking that the time between events in the Earth frame is zero (I misinterpreted the problem), but now I see that there would be 2 million years between Samantha's disassembling and reassembling. And in Samantha's frame the time is zero.

Last edited:
Thanks for all of your help and for your clear explanations. I appreciate it.

Last edited:
Heidi M said:
I believe I've answered my own question.

But, I don't know...I'm just learning...

For what its worth, I believe you have too :wink:

Heidi M said:
Thanks for your help. It's all clear to me now.

Your welcome :)

By the way, I am so impressed with the expert advice and prompt responses on this site. Thanks again, and thanks a million!

Heidi M said:
By the way, I am so impressed with the expert advice and prompt responses on this site. Thanks again, and thanks a million!

Ah, it was nothing really. You should see some of the technical responses by real experts like George. Now that would blow your mind! :bugeye:

1. How does the transporter work for a trip to Andromeda?

The transporter uses a process called quantum teleportation to dematerialize a person into a stream of subatomic particles and then rematerialize them at a different location. This process has been successfully used for short distances, but the technology is not advanced enough for a trip to Andromeda.

2. How long would the trip to Andromeda take using a transporter?

The distance to Andromeda is approximately 2.5 million light years away. Even if the transporter technology was advanced enough for such a trip, it would take at least 2.5 million years to reach Andromeda using this method. This is not a feasible option for space travel.

3. Can the transporter be used for round-trip travel to Andromeda?

As mentioned before, the technology for a trip to Andromeda using a transporter does not currently exist. However, even if it did, the return trip would also take 2.5 million years. This would not be practical or efficient for travel purposes.

4. Is it possible to survive a trip to Andromeda using a transporter?

The transporter technology is still in its early stages and has not been tested for such long-distance travel. There are many potential risks and dangers associated with dematerializing and rematerializing a person over such a vast distance. It is not yet known if it would be possible to survive such a trip.

5. Will a trip to Andromeda by transporter be available in the future?

While it is not possible with our current technology, it is always possible that advancements in science and technology will make it a reality in the future. However, it is important to note that such a trip would require immense resources and research, and it may not be a feasible or practical option for space travel. Only time will tell if a trip to Andromeda by transporter will be possible in the future.