Calculating Triple Correlation in MATLAB for Three Signals

In summary: So, the last line of the equation becomes:F\left(s_1, s_2 \right) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f^* \left(t\right)g\left(t+s_1 \right)h\left(t+s_2 \right)dtThis is a function of 1 variable s1 and therefore a vector. After FFT on each of the two signals I get 2 vectors in Fourier domain, multiply them element by element, get another vector and by inverse FFT get the cross-correlation, which is a vector.
LmdL
Hello,
How can I calculate a triple correlation between 3 signals A,B,C (each has 2 million samples)? I know xcorr do it for 2 signals by FFT each signal, multiplication and iFFT back. Since xcorr cannot do it for three signals, I try to do it "manually" by the above algorithm.
So, the "regular" cross-correlation:
[tex]F\left(s_1 \right) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f^* \left(t\right)g\left(t+s_1 \right)dt[/tex]
is a function of 1 variable s1 and therefore a vector. After FFT on each of the two signals I get 2 vectors in Fourier domain, multiply them element by element, get another vector and by inverse FFT get the cross-correlation, which is a vector.

Now I want to do the same to three signals. Triple correlation is:
[tex]F\left(s_1, s_2 \right) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f^* \left(t\right)g\left(t+s_1 \right)h\left(t+s_2 \right)dt[/tex]
which is a function of s1 and s2 and therefore should be a matrix.
After FFT on each of the three signals I get 3 vectors in the Fourier domain. Now, in order to get a matrix as a triple correlation, I need a matrix in Fourier domain as well. But I have 3 row vectors and how exactly can I get a matrix from them? I tried to multiply the first vector by a second one, element by element and then convert the third vector from row to column and multiply between them to get a matrix, but after inverse Fourier transform I get a wrong answer.
Do someone have and idea how to do it? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
UPDATE:
In this paper (page 4, diagram 3):
http://www.researchgate.net/publication/253625074_Fast_algorithm_for_quadratic_aberration_model_based_on_cross_triple_correlation

the authors suggest how to do the triple correlation using FFT. They suggest to FFT the signals matrices to Fourier domain, multiply them term by term and IFFT back. The only problem is: how to convert a 1D signals I have into matrices? Tried different approaches, but failed. Anyone has an idea? Thanks!

LmdL said:
UPDATE:
In this paper (page 4, diagram 3):
http://www.researchgate.net/publication/253625074_Fast_algorithm_for_quadratic_aberration_model_based_on_cross_triple_correlation

the authors suggest how to do the triple correlation using FFT. They suggest to FFT the signals matrices to Fourier domain, multiply them term by term and IFFT back. The only problem is: how to convert a 1D signals I have into matrices? Tried different approaches, but failed. Anyone has an idea? Thanks!

The author mentions that "K(f), L(f), and M(f) are three different functions. f, f1, and f2 are variables that can be any real scalars for a one-dimensional signal, or two-dimensional real vectors representing the normalized spatial-frequency pupil coordinates."

So the fact that you have vectors should be fine. That said I'm not sure how you're supposed to get a matrix back unless you multiply a row vector by a column vector at some point...

The general algorithm described would be this:

1. FFT the signals
Code:
k = fft(K);
l = fft(L);
m = fft(M);

2. Multiply element-wise
Code:
c = k.*l.*m;

3. IFFT back
Code:
C = ifft(c);

Does this produce the result you expect? What about if you do
Code:
c=k' .*(l.*m);
as the second step (producing a matrix)?

Last edited by a moderator:
That's what I already tried. This gives the wrong result.
For example, if I take 3 vectors:
Code:
A = [0 1 2 3 2 1 0];
B = [0 1 2 3 2 1 0];
C = [0 1 2 3 2 1 0];
Each one looks like triangle.

Triple cross correlation via "multiplication and sum, add delay s1/s2, multiplication and sum" method:
Code:
length = 7;
AA = [zeros(1,(length-1)/2) A zeros(1,(length-1)/2)];
BB = [zeros(1,(length-1)/2) B zeros(1,(length-1)/2)];
CC = [zeros(1,(length-1)/2) C zeros(1,(length-1)/2)];
for n=-delay1:delay1
  for m=-delay2:delay2
  B_delayed = circshift(BB',n)';
  C_delayed = circshift(CC',m)';
  S(delay1+1+n,delay2+1+m) = sum(AA.*B_delayed.*C_delayed);
  end
end
Z = fftshift(fft2(S));

gives:
w5Wmm2Y.png

While FFT method:
Code:
corrLength=2*length-1;
A_f = conj(fftshift(fft(A,corrLength)));
B_f = fftshift(fft(B,corrLength));
C_f = fftshift(fft(C,corrLength));
T = A_f'*(B_f.*C_f);
L = ifft2(T);

gives:
MAqh0cs.png

And this one:
Code:
c = k.*l.*m;
gives a vector either in Fourier domain or real domain, not a matrix.

Last edited:
Hi again,
The thread can be closed - I found the solution.
The solution is that triple correlation in my case is:
[tex]F\left(s_1, s_2 \right) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f^* \left(t\right)g\left(t+s_1 \right)h\left(t+s_2 \right)dt[/tex]

s1 is a delay with respect to t in argument of g and s2 is a delay with respect to ... t again (!) in argument of h. In addition, the summation is only over t dimension (dt).

Likes kreil

1. What is triple correlation in MATLAB?

Triple correlation in MATLAB is a statistical method used to measure the degree of relationship between three variables. It involves calculating the correlation coefficient between each pair of variables and then combining them to get an overall measure of correlation.

2. How do I perform triple correlation in MATLAB?

To perform triple correlation in MATLAB, you can use the "corrcoef" function, which calculates the correlation coefficients between each pair of variables. Then, you can use the "corr" function to combine the coefficients and get the overall correlation. Alternatively, you can use the "corrplot" function to visualize the correlation matrix.

3. What is the range of values for triple correlation coefficient in MATLAB?

The range of values for the triple correlation coefficient in MATLAB is -1 to 1, where -1 indicates a perfect negative correlation, 0 indicates no correlation, and 1 indicates a perfect positive correlation.

4. Can I perform triple correlation on non-numeric data in MATLAB?

No, triple correlation in MATLAB can only be performed on numeric data. If you have non-numeric data, you will need to convert it to numerical form before performing the correlation analysis.

5. How can I interpret the results of triple correlation in MATLAB?

The results of triple correlation in MATLAB can be interpreted by looking at the correlation coefficient values and their significance levels. A higher absolute value of the coefficient indicates a stronger relationship between the variables, while a p-value less than 0.05 indicates a statistically significant relationship.