Triple Integral for Volume in Rectangular Coordinates

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the volume of a region in 3D that is cut from the first octant by two slanted planes. The person provides a sketch of the region and attempts to solve the problem using triple integration, but struggles to get the correct answer. They are advised to break the region into two separate integrals in order to correctly solve for the volume.
hackmonkey7

Homework Statement

The region R in 3D is cut from the first octant (x,y,z >= 0) by the plane X+Z = 1, Y+2Z = 2.
Set up the volume in all 6 ways in rectangular coordinates.
Then evalute the volume in two of these ways.
Make sure to specify limits of integration in every case.

Homework Equations

I figure Y+2Z = 2 is the upper bound for Z and Z=0 is the lower bound.

Here's a rough sketch I drew of the base on X-Y plane, and the 3-D of what I imagined it to look like:
[PLAIN]http://img576.imageshack.us/img576/2599/calc3.png [/PLAIN]

The Attempt at a Solution

So I put the triple integration in:
[tex]
V(R) = \int_0^1{\mathrm \int_(2X)^(2-2X){\mathrm \int_0^(1-(1/2)Y){\mathrm }{\mathrm d}Z}{\mathrm d}Y}{\mathrm d}X
[/tex]

When I work this out, I keep getting a negative value!
I know the answer is suppose to be 2/3 because a rectangular pyramid's volume = 1/3 * height * base area, which the base area is 1x2 times 1 height * 1/3 = 2/3.
But I can't seem to manipulate it anyway to get it. Where am I going wrong? Am I setting the wrong plane as the Z bound?
Thanks for any help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
hackmonkey7 said:

Homework Statement

The region R in 3D is cut from the first octant (x,y,z >= 0) by the plane X+Z = 1, Y+2Z = 2.
Set up the volume in all 6 ways in rectangular coordinates.
Then evalute the volume in two of these ways.
Make sure to specify limits of integration in every case.

Homework Equations

I figure Y+2Z = 2 is the upper bound for Z and Z=0 is the lower bound.

No, that isn't correct. Both of your slanted planes are part of the "roof". You have to break it up into two different integrals if you integrate in the z direction first taking separate xy regions under each section of the corresponding z plane.

1. What is a triple integral?

A triple integral is a mathematical tool used to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional object. It is an extension of the concept of a single integral and a double integral.

2. How is a triple integral different from a single or double integral?

In a single integral, the volume is calculated by integrating over one variable. In a double integral, the volume is calculated by integrating over two variables. In a triple integral, the volume is calculated by integrating over three variables, representing the three dimensions of a three-dimensional object.

3. What is the formula for a triple integral?

The formula for a triple integral is ∭f(x, y, z) dV, where f(x, y, z) represents the function being integrated and dV represents the infinitesimal volume element.

4. When is a triple integral used in scientific research?

A triple integral is used in scientific research to calculate the volume of three-dimensional objects, such as shapes and volumes of cells or particles in biology, or volumes of fluids in physics and engineering.

5. Can a triple integral be used to calculate the volume of irregular shapes?

Yes, a triple integral can be used to calculate the volume of irregular shapes, as long as the function being integrated is defined for all points within the object's boundaries.