1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Triple Integral in Spherical Coordinates

1. Sep 15, 2004 #1

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have a hemispherical surface of radius R with it's base centred on the origin. We are using the convention:

r is the radius i.e. the magnitude of the position vector of a point: its distance from the origin.

theta is the polar angle

phi is the azimuthal angle

I am asked to calculate the integral of the divergence of a given vector field v over this volume (enclosed by the hemisphere).

So far what I have done is to say that a full sphere would be given by the equation:

r = R

What about a hemisphere? It seems to me that the angle theta must be restricted so that points below the x-y plane are not part of the domain. So what are the allowed values of theta? I can't seem to figure out whether it should be -pi/2 < theta < pi/2, or something else? I need to know this to set my bounds of integration for one of the three integrals. Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2004 #2
    For a hemisphere : r goes from 0 to R
    theta goes from : 0 to 90°
    phi goes from : 0 to 360°

Ofcourse, you know that you need to express the angles in radials

regards
    marlon

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?