How can I write a triple integral using different coordinate systems?

In summary, the triple integral can be written in either Cartesian, cylindrical, or spherical coordinates. The volume of the common volume region is calculated using a different integral, and it does not appear to be what you want.
blumfeld0
Hello. This is my first of many posts at this forum. For fun recently I came across a triple integral that i would really like to know how to do.
basically i have two equations
x^2+y^2+z^2=1
x^2+y^2+(z-1)^2=2
if you plot these you will see that they intercept.
i need to find the area under the graph where they intercept.
I would like to write this as a SINGLE integral using cartesian, cylindrical and sphereical coordinates.
anyone know how to write it any or all of these three ways. thank you very much
khurram

Physics news on Phys.org
Is integral necessary? (or am I making a mistake?)
subtract these equations side by side, and you'll get
z=0.
That's where these spheres intercept.
So put z=0 into the first equation (or the second one), you'll have:
[tex]x^2 + y^2 = 1 (z = 0)[/tex]
and this is the graph of interception and its area is evidently [tex]\pi.[/tex]

I hope it helps :smile:

If you want to calculate the "volume" of the common volume region instead of area, it's quite different. (but I guess this is not what you want.)

The volume is calculated as

[tex] \int_0^1 \pi (\sqrt{(1-z^2)})^2 dz + \int _{-\sqrt{2}}^0 \pi (\sqrt{(2-z^2)})^2 dz = \pi \frac {2+4 \sqrt{2}}{3}[/tex]

It's not single integral or cylindrical or spherical, though...

I think simple is best. :smile:

Last edited:
Triple Integral

Hello. You are absolutely right sir. I meant to ask for the volume not the area.

How do i write that sum of those two integrals as one integral.
Also How would I go about converting that into cylidrican and spherical coordinates. I mean I know the volume elements for spherical and cylindrical
spherical
dV==r^2 sinphi dphi dtheta dr.
cylindrical
dV==r dr dtheta dz
thank you for all your help

blumfeld0

In Cartesian coordinates, the latter integral

[tex]\int _{-\sqrt{2}}^0 \pi (\sqrt{(2-z^2)})^2 dz = \int _ 0 ^ {\sqrt{2}} \pi (2-z^2)dz[/tex]

can be put using

[tex]\sqrt{2} z' = z [/tex]

into

[tex] \int _0^1 \pi (2- (\sqrt{2} z')^2) \frac {dz}{dz'} dz'
= \int _0 ^ 1 \pi 2 \sqrt{2}(1-z^2) dz[/tex]

So the total volume can be written as a single integral

[tex]\int _0^1 \pi ((1-z^2) + 2 \sqrt{2} (1-z^2)) dz
= \int _0^1 \pi (1+ 2 \sqrt{2}) (1-z^2) dz[/tex]

Does it make sense? It looks like just a trick of calculation to me.

As for polar and cylindrical coordinates, I wrote spheres as:

polar:
[tex]r^2-2r\cos(\theta)=1[/tex] and
[tex]r^2=1[/tex]

cylindrical:
[tex]r^2+z^2-2z=1[/tex] and
[tex]r^2+z^2 = 1[/tex].

But I haven't make integral fomulae yet.

Last edited:
Yes I do understand. Thanks for your help
blumfeld0

1. What is a triple integral problem?

A triple integral problem is a mathematical concept that involves finding the volume of a three-dimensional region by breaking it down into infinitesimally small pieces and adding them up using a triple integral. It is often used in physics and engineering to calculate quantities such as mass, center of mass, and moment of inertia.

2. How do you set up a triple integral?

To set up a triple integral, you first need to identify the limits of integration for each variable (x, y, and z), which are typically defined by the boundaries of the region being integrated. Then, you need to determine the integrand, which is the function or expression being integrated. The triple integral is written as ∭f(x,y,z) dV, where dV is an infinitesimal volume element.

3. What is the difference between a single and a triple integral?

A single integral is used to find the area under a curve in two dimensions, while a triple integral is used to find the volume of a three-dimensional region. In a single integral, the limits of integration are along a single axis, while in a triple integral, the limits are along three axes.

4. What are some common applications of triple integrals?

Triple integrals have a wide range of applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. Some common applications include calculating the moment of inertia of a three-dimensional object, finding the center of mass of a solid, and determining the probability of a particle's position in quantum mechanics.

5. What are some strategies for solving a triple integral problem?

There are several strategies that can be used to solve a triple integral problem, including converting the integral into a simpler form using symmetry, using change of variables to simplify the integrand, and breaking down the integral into smaller, more manageable parts. It is also important to carefully choose the order of integration to make the problem more manageable.