1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Triple Integral Problem

1. Nov 30, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Evaluate ∫∫∫[W] xz dV, where W is the domain bounded by the elliptic cylinder (x^2)/4 + (y^2)/9 = 1 and the sphere x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 16 in the first octant x> or = 0, y> or = 0, z> or = 0.

2. Relevant equations
    First, I tried to find the bounds for z:
    z = 0 (because z is greater than or equal to zero) to z = sqrt(16 - x^2 - y^2).

Then setting z = 0, I tried to find the x bounds:
    x = sqrt(4 - (4y^2)/9) to x = sqrt(16 - y^2).

Finally with both x and z set to 0, I tried to find the y bounds:
    y = 3 to y = 4.

3. The attempt at a solution
    3 to 4 sqrt(4 - (4y^2)/9) to sqrt(16 - y^2) 0 to sqrt(16 - x^2 - y^2) xz dzdxdy

When I tried to solve this, it didn't work. I'm wondering if I have the bounds wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2014 #2

Zondrina

Homework Helper

EDIT:

You should find the intersection of the sphere and cylinder by setting them both to be zero and solving. This will give you an ellipsoid.

Using the transformation ##x = \sqrt{20} u##, ##y = \sqrt{\frac{135}{8}} v##, and ##z = \sqrt{15}w## will transform the ellipsoid into a sphere of radius 1. Computing the Jacobian of this transformation will allow you to transform the original integral:

$$\iiint_V xz \space dV = \iiint_{V'} (\sqrt{20} u)(\sqrt{15}w) \space |J| \space dV'$$

I believe a change to spherical co-ordinates from here will clean up the limits and the integral.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted