Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Triple Integral question

1. Apr 22, 2012 #1
    I need some help in this

The question states find the volume for the region bounded below by z = 3 - 2y and above by z = x^2 + y^2 using cylindrical coordinates .

Now i tried to do it but i got stuck with the part where i find the radius . i found
    r^2 = 3-2r*sin(zeta) :( its hard to factorize and use this for the boundary

i already know that z will range from r^2 to 3-2r*sin(zeta) and zeta range from zero to 2 pie

so how can this question be solved ??? :)

btw the correct answer is 8pie

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

First, you have "below" and "above" reversed. The plane z= 3- 2y is above the paraboloid [itex]z= x^2+ y^2[/itex] in the bounded region.

They intersect where [itex]z= x^2+ y^2= 3- 3y[/itex] which is equivalent to [itex]x^2+ y^2+ 3y= 3[/itex]. [itex]x^2+ y^2+ 3y+ 9/4= x^2+ (y+3/2)^2= 3+ 9/4= 21/4[/itex]. That is a circle with center at (0, -3/2) which is why ordinary polar coordinates do not give a simple equation. Either
    1: integrate with x from [itex]-\sqrt{21}/2[/itex] to [itex]\sqrt{21}/2[/itex] and, for each x, y from [itex]-3/2- \sqrt{21/4- x^2}[/itex] to [itex]-3/2+ \sqrt{21/4- x^2}[/itex].

2: Let [itex]x= rcos(\theta)[/itex] and [itex]y= -3/2+ rsin(\theta)[/itex], shifting the origin to (0, -3/2).

4. Apr 22, 2012 #3
    Oh i c :D !!! Thanks alot . I wasn't aware of shifting the origin :) !!

5. Apr 23, 2012 #4
    LOL 8pie

6. Apr 23, 2012 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

For desert?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook