What are the bounds for evaluating a triple integral in the first octant?

In summary, the task is to evaluate the triple integral of z.dV for a solid E bounded by a cylinder with axis on the x-axis and planes x=0, y=3x, and z=0 in the first octant. The cylindrical coordinates x=rcos\theta, y=rsin\theta, and z=z are used, with limits of integration of r=3 and \theta=\frac{\pi}{2} for the first quadrant of the yz plane. The integral to be evaluated is \int_0^3\int_0^3\int_0^1 z.dz.dy.dx.
ProPatto16

Homework Statement

evaluate triple integral of z.dV where the solid E is bounded by the cylinder y2+z2=9 and the planes x=0 and y=3x and z=0 in the first octant

Homework Equations

for cylindrical polar co-ords, x=rcos[tex]\theta[/tex], y=rsin[tex]\theta[/tex] and z=z

The Attempt at a Solution

im just struggling to grasp the bounds here. the cylinder has x as its centre line. and r=3. which means shape extends out from x 3 units along y and z axis's. and extends along x from origin 3x units. then stops due to plane on y. that's about as much as i can gather. the projected region that i should take the volume of the solid over should be projected onto the yz plane for this case. which would show a quarter circle with r = 3 right? with y=sqrt(9-z2) with y>0 so achieve first quadrant.
but i can't actually work out what to integrate each integral between.

help? much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
The given cylinder, [itex]y^2+ z^2= 1[/itex] has axis on the x-axis and its curved side projects to a circle in the yz plane. I would d you "swap" x and z in setting up the cylindrical coordinates:
[itex]x= x[/itex]
[itex]y= r sin(\theta)[/itex]
[itex]z= r cos(\theta)[/itex]

Now the limits of integration should be easy.

Yeah I knew that bit. R=3 and theta=pi/2 for first octant also. So looking at quarter circle is first quadrant of yz plane. Y goes from 0-3 and z goes from 0-3 and therefore with x=y/3 then x goes from 0 to 1?

so then the integral needing evaulation is.. i can't do latex so ub means upper bounds and lb means lower bound

[tex]\int[/tex](ub 3, lb 0)[tex]\int[/tex](ub 3, lb 0)[tex]\int[/tex](ub 1, lb 0) z.dz.dy.dx??

What is a triple integral volume bound?

A triple integral volume bound is a mathematical tool used in multivariable calculus to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional region bounded by surfaces or planes.

What is the purpose of using triple integral volume bounds?

The purpose of using triple integral volume bounds is to accurately calculate the volume of a three-dimensional object or region, which is a crucial aspect of many scientific and engineering applications.

How do you set up a triple integral volume bound?

To set up a triple integral volume bound, you need to determine the correct order of integration and the appropriate bounds for each variable. This is typically done by visualizing the region and breaking it down into smaller, more manageable sections.

What are some common methods for solving triple integral volume bounds?

Some common methods for solving triple integral volume bounds include using the cylindrical or spherical coordinate systems, using symmetry to simplify the integral, and using appropriate substitutions to change the bounds of integration.

What are some real-world applications of triple integral volume bounds?

Triple integral volume bounds are used in a variety of fields, such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. Some examples of real-world applications include calculating the volume of a fluid in a container, determining the mass of an irregularly shaped object, and creating 3D models of objects or environments.