1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Triple integral/volume of a region enclosed by two planes an elliptic hyperboloid

1. Apr 26, 2012 #1
    For positive a and h, let A designate the region of R3 enclosed by the elliptic hyperboloid, x2 +y2 -z2 =a2 and the two planes, z= -h/2 and z=h/2.

Determine the volume of A

So I figure this will be a triple integral in cylindrical coordinates. the first integrand being from -h/2 to h/2, the second from 0 to 2∏ and the third is a transformation to r.

The equation to integrate would be my elliptic hyperboloid equation, correct? So that would look something like r2cos2(θ) +r2sin2(θ)-z2 rdrdθdz....right?

I'm confused on how to go about this problem so I told you what I was able to figure out on my own. Could someone PLEASE explain how I do this?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2012 #2
    i got the triple integral with limits stated above and of r^3 -rz^2 drd(theta)dz..I made my last integrand be from 0 to a..is this correct? I then integrated it all out and ended up with [pi(a^4)h]/2. Is this right?? Could I have possibly solved this???

4. Apr 27, 2012 #3

sharks

Gold Member

Your surface equation is actually that of a one-sheeted paraboloid. I've attached the graph.

In the plane z=0, r varies from r=a
    In the plane z=h/2, r varies to r=[itex]\sqrt{a^2+\frac{h^2}{4}}[/itex]

To get the entire volume, just multiply the triple integral by 2.

Attached Files:

5. Apr 27, 2012 #4
    But there is no plane z=0. It's-h/2 and h/2.

6. Apr 27, 2012 #5

sharks

Gold Member

You have to evaluate the total volume in two parts. First, from z=0 to z=h/2. Then, from z=-h/2 to z=0.

Note that the figure is symmetrical at z=0, which is at its smallest cross-sectional area, where r=a.

Hence, there is no need to calculate two triple integrals. Just find one and then multiply by 2.

7. Apr 27, 2012 #6
    okay so 1. do i need to evaluate in cylindrical coords even?
    2. am I using my elliptic hyperboloid equation for the integration?
    3. it would be a double integral of that elliptic hyperboloid equation or no?

I'm sorry. I'm very confused now.

8. Apr 27, 2012 #7

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is a solid of revolution. No law says you must use a triple integral. Why not just set it up with circular slabs and integrate in the z direction?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook