So the integral is a triple integral with the limits described above.

In summary: I haven't done the arithmetic yet, but the set up looks correct for me.)In summary, the volume of the object is given by the difference between the volume of a sphere with radius 2 and the volume of two cylinders with radius 1, located at (-1,0) and (1,0), drilled out of the sphere. The volume of the cylinders can be found by converting to cylindrical coordinates and integrating from 0 to 2cos(θ) for r, -π/2 to π/2 for θ, and 0 to √(4-r^2) for z. The correct answer is probably 128π/9.
nickthegreek

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the object, defined by these inequalities(?): x^2+y^2+z^2≤4, (x-1)^2+y^2≥1, (x+1)^2+y^2≥1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First we draw the object, and realize that it's a sphere with 2 circles in it with radius 1 at (-1,0) and (1,0). Our object is defined outside these circles, so I imagine we could consider the square with 2 cylinders drilled out. If we can find the volume of one of these cylinders from 0 to z we are done. (Vsphere-4*Vcylinder)
Is this the way to go or do we have other solutions? This one doesn't give me right answer...

Physics news on Phys.org
I suspect that you have calculated the volume of the cylinders incorrectly. The top and bottom are pieces of the sphere not planes. Yes, this is a sphere of radius 2 and so its volume, ignoring the cylinders for the moment, is [itex](16/3)\pi[/itex].

By symmetry, it is sufficient to find volume of one cylinder, then subtract twice that from the volume of the sphere. Also, I think I would be inclined to shift the coordinate system so that the center of one cylinder is at the origin: if we let x'= x- 1, y'= y, z'= z, then one cylinder has equation [itex]x'^2+ y'^2= 1[/itex] and the sphere has equation [itex](x'+1)^2+ y'^2+ z'^2= x'^2+ 2x'+ 1+ y'^2+ z'^2= 4[/itex], [itex](x'^2+ y'^2)+ 2x'+ z'^2= 3[/itex].

Now, convert to cylindrical coordinates: [itex]x'= rcos(\theta)[/itex], [itex]y'= r sin(\theta)[/itex], [itex]z'= z[/itex] so the equation of the sphere becomes [itex]r^2+ 2r cos(\theta)+ z^2= 3[/itex] so that [itex]z= \pm (3- r^2- 2r cos(\theta))^{1/2}[/itex]. Then the volume of the cylinder is
[tex]\int_{\theta= 0}^{2\pi}\int_{r= 0}^1\int_{z= -(3- r^2- 2rcos(\theta))^{1/2}}^{(3- r^2- 2rcos(\theta))^{1/2}} r cos(\theta)dzdrd\theta[/tex]

Hi, thanks for answering. This was kinda the vision I had, tho i was unfamiliar with cylindrical coordinates. I don't understand where cos(θ) comes from in the integrand? The jacobian from the substitution would just be r, no? Or have I missed something fundamental here? The double integral gets kinda messy after we've integrated with respect to z, in my mind.

And I don't seem to get the correct answer, which should be 128/9.

Last edited:
You are right regarding the Jacobian in your above post.

nickthegreek said:

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the object, defined by these inequalities(?): x^2+y^2+z^2≤4, (x-1)^2+y^2≥1, (x+1)^2+y^2≥1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First we draw the object, and realize that it's a sphere with 2 circles in it with radius 1 at (-1,0) and (1,0). Our object is defined outside these circles, so I imagine we could consider the square with 2 cylinders drilled out. If we can find the volume of one of these cylinders from 0 to z we are done. (Vsphere-4*Vcylinder)
Is this the way to go or do we have other solutions? This one doesn't give me right answer...
Yes.

You are to find the volume enclosed by the sphere, but external to the two cylinders.

So, find the portion of one cylinder enclosed by the sphere and above z = 0. Then use your expression, (Vsphere-4*Vcylinder) .

What is the equation of the circle, (x-1)2+y2 = 1, in polar coordinates?

(I haven't worked the problem, but I suspect the answer is more like 128π/9 .)

In polar coordinates it would be r^2-2rcosθ=0 ⇔ r=2cosθ. So it will go from 2cosθ and follow the sphere upwards... nah I am having a hard time visualizing it :(

Yes, the answer is probably a small typo then.

nickthegreek said:
In polar coordinates it would be r^2-2rcosθ=0 ⇔ r=2cosθ. So it will go from 2cosθ and follow the sphere upwards... nah I'm having a hard time visualizing it :(

Yes, the answer is probably a small typo then.
I would integrate over z first: from 0 to √(4-r2)

Then r goes from 0 to 2cos(θ) .

Then θ : from -π/2 to π/2 .

1. What is a triple integral volume?

A triple integral volume is a mathematical concept used to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional shape. It involves integrating a function over a three-dimensional region in order to find the total volume contained within that region.

2. How is a triple integral volume different from a regular integral?

A regular integral calculates the area under a curve in two dimensions, while a triple integral calculates the volume under a surface in three dimensions. It requires three variables and three integrals instead of one.

3. What are the applications of triple integral volume in science?

Triple integral volume has many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It can be used to calculate the volume of complex shapes, determine the mass and center of mass of objects, and solve problems involving fluid flow and electric fields.

4. How do you set up a triple integral for a specific shape?

To set up a triple integral for a specific shape, you need to determine the limits of integration for each variable. This can be done by visualizing the shape and breaking it down into smaller, simpler shapes such as spheres, cylinders, or cones. Then, you can set up the triple integral by integrating the appropriate function over each of these smaller shapes.

5. What are some techniques for evaluating a triple integral?

Some common techniques for evaluating a triple integral include using symmetry, changing the order of integration, and using special coordinate systems such as cylindrical or spherical coordinates. It is also helpful to break down the region of integration into smaller, simpler shapes and integrate over each individually.