Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Triple integral xyz coordinates to spherical

1. Apr 27, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

the integral is bounded below by the cone [tex]z^2=x^x+y^2[/tex] and above by the sphere [tex]x^2+y^2+z^2=18[/tex]

[tex]\int^{3}_{0}\int^{\sqrt{9-y^2}}_{0}\int^{\sqrt{18-x^2-y^2}}_{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}x^2+y^2+y^2 dzdxdy[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

conversion formulas

3. The attempt at a solution

I am struggling on my limits. Obviously these limits are not true
    [tex]\int^{3}_{0}\int^{\sqrt{9-y^2}}_{0}\int^{\sqrt{18-x^2-y^2}}_{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}p^2 p^2sin\phi dp d\theta d\phi [/tex]

I know the upper limit for p is going to be [tex]\sqrt{18}[/tex] as that is the upper bound of the sphere but the lower bound of p is the cone [tex]z^2=x^2+y^2[/tex]

is this [tex]x^2+y^2-z^2 = (psin\phi cos\theta )^2 + (psin\phi sin\theta )^2 - (pcos\phi)^2 [/tex] for the lower limit of p when factoring out to get p = something??? It seems a little long...

//Edit

ok, i had another look at this

Is my domain as followed:

D = {[tex](\theta , \phi \ , \rho) | (0 \leq \theta \leq 2\pi , 0 \leq \phi \leq \frac{\pi}{4} , 0 \leq \rho \leq \sqrt{18}[/tex]}

Is this correct for a cone within a sphere? Im not too certain about [tex]\rho[/tex]

Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted