1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Triple Integral

1. Nov 27, 2005 #1
    "Suppose that a smooth vector field [tex]F(x,y,z)[/tex] given on a region [tex]D[/tex] has the property that on the bounding surface [tex]S[/tex] it is perpenticular to the surface. Show that
    [tex]\int\int\int_D \bigtriangledown \times F dV = 0[/tex]
    in the sense that each component of [tex]\bigtriangledown \times F[/tex] has integral 0 over D."
    I'm really stumped on this one.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2005 #2

Physics Monkey

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can proceed by examing each component of the curl of F in turn. Take the x component for instance, it looks something like
    [tex] (\vec{\nabla}\times\vec{F})_x = \frac{\partial F_z}{\partial y} - \frac{\partial F_y}{\partial z} [/tex]. Since integration is linear you can consider each piece in turn. Can you find a way to represent
    [tex]
    \frac{\partial F_z}{\partial y}
    [/tex]
    as a divergence. Hint: to make progress, apply Gauss' Theorem to the result.

4. Nov 27, 2005 #3
    I suppose you can express it as [tex]\bigtriangledown(0,F_3,0)[/tex] so by Gauss's theorem,

[tex]\int\int\int_D\bigtriangledown(0,F_3,0)dV=\int\int_{\partial D}(0,F_3,0)d\vec{S}[/tex].

If the field were tangent to the surface, the dot product between the normal vector and it would be zero, but since it's already perpenticular...

5. Nov 27, 2005 #4

Physics Monkey

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You aren't quite there yet, but you're close. In particular, you can't just conclude that
    [tex]\int\int _{\partial D}(0,F_3,0)d\vec{S}[/tex]
    equals zero. However, when you combine this term with the other term in the curl, then maybe you can say something ...

6. Nov 27, 2005 #5
    It boils down to

[tex]\int\int \bigtriangledown(0,F_3,0)-\bigtriangledown(0,0,F_2)\vec{N}dS[/tex]

The integrand becomes

[tex]\bigtriangledown(0,F_3,F_2)\vec{N}[/tex]

Since the normal is parallel to the field, it becomes (F3F2-F2F3)|N|, and this is 0.

Did I get this right? If so thanks for the help!

Last edited: Nov 27, 2005
  7. Nov 27, 2005 #6

Physics Monkey

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't know why you have the gradient operator still there, but yes, you've pretty much got it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?