Triple Integral: Find Region of Intersecting Cylinders

In summary, the conversation was about finding the region of intersecting cylinders and determining the correct method of integration. One person had trouble finding the domain of integration and another person suggested using polar coordinates. The final solution involved integrating along one cylinder and then specifying limits for the other two axes, but there was a slight error in the final answer. The correct solution is 16a^3/3, but the person obtained 16a^4/3 due to an extra factor of 'a'.
pivoxa15
I like to use cartesian coords

Find the region to the intersecting cyclinders x^2+y^2<=a^2 and x^2+z^2<=a^2

What I have trouble finding is the domain of integration

Currently I have
a to -a for dx
-srt(a^2-x^2) to srt(a^2-x^2) for dy
-srt(x^2+y^2) to srt(x^2+y^2) for dz

But this integration turned out to be too complicated to evaluate hence probably wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
"Find the region to ..." ? I assume you mean to find the volume of that region.
It's not at all clear to me where you would get "-srt(x^2+y^2) to srt(x^2+y^2) for dz". I don't see any reason to think that z2 is ever equal to x2+ y2. The projection of the figure down on to the xy-plane is the circle x2+ y2= a2 so, yes, the outer integrals would be
[tex]\int_{x= -a}^a \int_{y=-\sqrt{a^2-x^2}}^{\sqrt{a^2- x^2}} dydx[/tex]

But, for every (x,y), z ranges between [itex]-\sqrt{a^2- x^2}[/itex] and [itex]\sqrt{a^2- x^2}[/itex] also. Looks to me like the inner integral should be
[tex]\int_{z= -\sqrt{a^2-x^2}}^{\sqrt{a^2-z^2}}dz[/tex]
Of course, that could be done simply as the double integral
[tex]2\int_{x= -a}^a \int_{y=-\sqrt{a^2-x^2}}^{\sqrt{a^2-x^2}}\sqrt{a^2- x^2}dydx[/tex]

I think it would be even simpler in polar coordinates

I see how you got your solution which yields the correct solution, 16a^3/3.

I eventually used a different method but is slightly wrong with a factor of 'a' too much. I integrated along one cyclinder along one axis and then specified the limits of the other two axis as -a and a. My integral from the inside out is
From -(x^2+z^2) to x^2+z^2 along y
From -a to a along x
From -a to a along z

I got 16a^4/3. Where did I go wrong?

1. What is a triple integral?

A triple integral is a type of mathematical calculation used in multivariable calculus to find the volume of a three-dimensional region. It involves integrating a function over a three-dimensional space, often represented by a rectangular or cylindrical coordinate system.

2. What is the region of intersecting cylinders?

The region of intersecting cylinders is the space where two or more cylinders intersect. This region can be visualized as the area where the cylinders overlap, creating a three-dimensional shape with curved edges.

3. How do you find the region of intersecting cylinders using a triple integral?

To find the region of intersecting cylinders using a triple integral, you first need to express the region as a mathematical function. This function will vary depending on the specific cylinders and their dimensions. Once you have the function, you can set up the triple integral and integrate over the three dimensions to find the volume of the intersecting region.

4. What are some real-life applications of finding the region of intersecting cylinders?

Finding the region of intersecting cylinders has many practical applications in engineering and physics. It can be used to calculate the volume of complex objects or determine the amount of material needed to build a structure. For example, it could be used to find the volume of a water tank with multiple cylindrical compartments or to calculate the amount of fuel that can be stored in a series of interconnected cylinders in a rocket.

5. What are some common challenges when working with triple integrals and intersecting cylinders?

One of the main challenges when working with triple integrals and intersecting cylinders is setting up the correct integral for the given region. This requires a good understanding of the underlying geometry and the ability to visualize the region in three dimensions. Another challenge is the complexity of the calculations involved, which can be time-consuming and prone to errors. It is important to carefully check each step of the calculation to ensure accuracy.