1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Triple integral?

1. May 4, 2006 #1
    I like to use cartesian coords

Find the region to the intersecting cyclinders x^2+y^2<=a^2 and x^2+z^2<=a^2

What I have trouble finding is the domain of integration

Currently I have
    a to -a for dx
    -srt(a^2-x^2) to srt(a^2-x^2) for dy
    -srt(x^2+y^2) to srt(x^2+y^2) for dz

But this integration turned out to be too complicated to evaluate hence probably wrong.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

"Find the region to ..." ? I assume you mean to find the volume of that region.
    It's not at all clear to me where you would get "-srt(x^2+y^2) to srt(x^2+y^2) for dz". I don't see any reason to think that z2 is ever equal to x2+ y2. The projection of the figure down on to the xy-plane is the circle x2+ y2= a2 so, yes, the outer integrals would be
    [tex]\int_{x= -a}^a \int_{y=-\sqrt{a^2-x^2}}^{\sqrt{a^2- x^2}} dydx[/tex]

But, for every (x,y), z ranges between [itex]-\sqrt{a^2- x^2}[/itex] and [itex]\sqrt{a^2- x^2}[/itex] also. Looks to me like the inner integral should be
    [tex]\int_{z= -\sqrt{a^2-x^2}}^{\sqrt{a^2-z^2}}dz[/tex]
    Of course, that could be done simply as the double integral
    [tex]2\int_{x= -a}^a \int_{y=-\sqrt{a^2-x^2}}^{\sqrt{a^2-x^2}}\sqrt{a^2- x^2}dydx[/tex]

I think it would be even simpler in polar coordinates
  4. May 5, 2006 #3
    I see how you got your solution which yields the correct solution, 16a^3/3.

I eventually used a different method but is slightly wrong with a factor of 'a' too much. I integrated along one cyclinder along one axis and then specified the limits of the other two axis as -a and a. My integral from the inside out is
    From -(x^2+z^2) to x^2+z^2 along y
    From -a to a along x
    From -a to a along z

I got 16a^4/3. Where did I go wrong?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?