1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Triple integral

1. May 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Sketch the solid E bounded by the cylinder x = y^2 and the planes z = 3 and x + z = 1, and write down its analytic expression. Then, use a triple integral to find the volume of E.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Was wondering if someone could have a go at drawing this sketch? In mine, I thought i did it right but cant seem to obtain an enclosed surface. If x+z=1 was rather x-z=1 i would be able to but cant so far???

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The plane x+ z= 1 crosses the plane z= 3 when x+ 3= 1 or the line x= -2, z= 3, y= t. It crosses the cylinder [itex]x= y^2[/itex] in the line [itex]x= t^2[/itex], [itex]y= t[/itex], [itex]z= 1- x= 1- t^2[/itex].

I wonder if you weren't confusing [itex]x= y^2[/itex] with the [itex]y= x^3[/itex].

4. May 7, 2009 #3
    I don't think you NEED to graph this.

y=(plus/minus) sqrt(x)

If that helps.

The range is x>0, so sqrt(x) is real.

If x>0, which is on top, z=3 or z=1-x?

EDIt: Is there an upper bound on x?

5. May 7, 2009 #4
    wat i have done is drawn the cylinder x = y^2 in the x-y plane and extended it along the z plane. Then i drew the z=3 plane and then drew a line z=1-x and it extended it along the y plane. But this does not end up enclosing a solid

6. May 7, 2009 #5
    You are right, I think. There must be an upper x-limit for this to be a solid. Maybe, you have accidentally skipped some information.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook