Integrating the Paraboloid: Finding y^2z^2

In summary, the homework statement is to find the integral of y^2 z^2 where E is the region bounded by a paraboloid x = 1 - y22 - z2 and the plane x = 0. TheAttempt at a Solution begins by finding the region's boundaries. The region is a paraboloid with vertex at x = 1, y = 0, z = 0. I chose z bounds to be between 0 and 1 - y22 - z2 for first integral. Then, I realized that since region was bounded by x = 0 plane, the y and z values would range (in polar coordinates), from 0 to 2\pi for y (or z) and 0 to 1 for z. Due to
yitriana

Homework Statement

Find [tex]\int\int\int y^2 z^2[/tex]where E is the region bounded by the paraboloid x = 1 - y22 - z2 and the plane x = 0.

The Attempt at a Solution

The region is a paraboloid with vertex at x = 1, y = 0, z = 0. I chose z bounds to be between 0 and 1 - y22 - z2 for first integral. Then, I realized that since region was bounded by x = 0 plane, the y and z values would range (in polar coordinates), from 0 to 2[tex]\pi[/tex] for y (or z) and 0 to 1 for z.

Then, upon finishing first integral for z bounds, I got (1 - y2 - z2) * y2*z2, and when converting to polar coordinates, I got,

(1 - r2)*(r4*cos2([tex]\theta[/tex])*sin2([tex]\theta[/tex])

I don't know how to simplify this expression so that I can integrate for theta. How do I do it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there a typo in x = 1 - y22 - z2 or did you mean x = 1 - 2y2 - z2?
The usual practice is to put numerical coefficients before variables.

sorry, it is meant to read x = 1 - y2 - z2

You seem to be ignoring the differentials dx, dy, and dz in your first integral, and the dr [itex]d\theta[/itex] and dz in your integral converted to polar form.

Due to the symmetry of your region and the integrand, you can take [itex]\theta[/itex] between 0 and [itex]\pi/2[/itex], and multiply the resulting integral by 4.

It would be helpful to see your integral with limits and with differentials. You can see my LaTeX code just by clicking it.
[tex]
\int_{z = ?}^{?} \int_{\theta = ?}^{?} \int_{r = ?}^{?} <integrand> r dr d\theta dz
[/tex]

You'll need to fill in the lower and upper limits of integration, and the integrand will need to be converted to polar form as well.

[tex]

\int_{r = 0}^{1} \int_{\theta = 0}^{2 \pi} (1 - r^2) r^4 (\cos(\theta))^2 (\sin(\theta))^2 d\theta dr

[/tex]

You have skipped a step. Let's start from the triple integral that I provided.

1. How do you find the equation for integrating a paraboloid?

To integrate a paraboloid, you first need to identify the variables involved. In this case, y and z are the variables, and y^2z^2 is the function. Then, you can use the standard formula for integrating a paraboloid: ∫y^2z^2 dz dy. This means that you integrate the function with respect to z first, and then with respect to y.

2. What is the purpose of integrating a paraboloid?

The purpose of integrating a paraboloid is to find the volume under the surface of the paraboloid. This can be useful in many real-life applications, such as calculating the volume of a water tank or determining the amount of material needed to create a certain shape.

3. Can you explain the steps for integrating a paraboloid?

The first step is to identify the variables and function involved. Then, you need to set up the integral using the standard formula: ∫y^2z^2 dz dy. Next, you will need to evaluate the inner integral with respect to z, and then evaluate the outer integral with respect to y. Finally, you can solve for the definite integral to find the volume under the paraboloid.

4. Is there a specific method for integrating a paraboloid?

Yes, there is a specific method for integrating a paraboloid. It involves setting up the integral using the standard formula, evaluating the inner and outer integrals, and solving for the definite integral. This method is commonly used in calculus and is known as the "double integral" method.

5. Are there any tips for making the integration of a paraboloid easier?

One tip for making the integration of a paraboloid easier is to break the integration into smaller parts. This means breaking up the function into simpler forms and integrating each part separately, then adding the results together. Additionally, using a graphing calculator or software can help with visualizing the paraboloid and making the integration process more efficient.