1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Triple Integral

1. May 19, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let A be the region that in space bounded by the balls:
    [tex] x^2 +y^2 + z^2 =1 [/tex] , [tex] x^2 +y^2 +z^2 =4 [/tex] , above the plane [tex]z=0[/tex] and inside the cone [tex]z^2 = x^2 +y^2 [/tex].

A. Write the integral [tex] \int \int \int_{A} f(x,y,z) dxdydz [/tex] in the form:
    [tex] \int \int_{E} (\int_{g^1(x,y)}^{g^2(x,y)} f(x,y,z) dz) dxdy [/tex] when :
    [tex] A=( (x,y,z) | (x,y) \in E, g^1(x,y) \le z \le g^2(x,y) ) [/tex] ...

B. Find the volume of A (not necessarily using part A).

Hope you'll be able to help me in this... I think the main problem is that I can't figure out how A looks like... There is also a hint that one of the functions g1 or g2 should be defined at a split region... I can't figure out how this cone looks like and how I can describe A as equations ...

Thanks in advance!

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2010 #2

Homework Helper

so you have a sphere of radius 1 & and a sphere of radius 2...

to visualise the cone z^2 = y^2 + x^2, consider the coordinate planes y = 0 and x = 0, these will be vertical slices through the cone - what is the equation of the curve in each plane.

no consider a slice for a given z, you have y^2 + x^2 = z^2, which is an equation for a circle in x & y - what is the radius?

the 2nd part will be much easier to do in spherical coordinates...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook