Triple integral

• Thread starter Telemachus
  • Start date
Hi, I have to compute de volume for the region:

[tex]\{(x,y,z):x^2+y^2+z^2\leq{16};z\geq{1} \}[/tex]

I've tried to do by two different parametrizations, in spherics and cylindrical coordinates

For cylindrical coordinates I've made:

[tex]3 \displaystyle\int_{0}^{\sqrt[ ]{15}}\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{1}^{\sqrt[ ]{16-r^2}}dz d \theta dr\approx{162.26}[/tex]

For spherics I've considered [tex]4\sin \phi=\sqrt[ ]{15}\Rightarrow{\phi=Arcsen\left( \displaystyle\frac{\sqrt[ ]{15}}{4} \right)}=u[/tex]

[tex]3 \displaystyle\int_{0}^{u}\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{\cos \phi}^{4}d\rho d \theta d\phi\approx{81.13 }[/tex]

I've used wolfram to make the calculus, and it gives that for cylindrical coord. I'm having twice the volume that I have for spherical coord. I don't know where I'm committing the mistake. Bye, thanks for helping :)

Note: I'm multiplying by 3 because I was going to use for Gauss theorem and is the divergence for the vector field given by the problem

Answers and Replies

wheres your Jacobian for spherical and cylindrical coordinates.

Thanks :P I forgot about that, I thought I wasn't making any change of variables, but now I see. It's because I've been doing some surface integrals and the jacobian doesn't appear on those kind of integrals, I'm not sure why is that, but I think that role is played by the normal vector, which is pretty much like the jacobian.

Last edited:
Well, I added the jacobians, but still giving different, I don't know why. The difference now is more sutil: In cylindrical coord. gives (clic here)

In spherical coord gives

I tried to proceed with cylindrical, but the exercise gets more complicated, so I want to be sure that what I'm doing with spherical is ok, so I can proceed that way, but still giving different answers.

Last edited:
I think you bound for phi in spherical should be [itex] \phi=arctan(\sqrt{15}) [/itex]
and not your arcsin that you have.

why is that? I've reasoned the bound this way:

attachment.php?attachmentid=37870&stc=1&d=1312912197.png

Then [tex]4 \sin \phi=\sqrt[]{15}[/tex]

Attachments

• spheric.png
    spheric.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 492
vela
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
That gives the same limits because you have, equivalently,
\begin{align*}
\cos \phi &= \frac{1}{4} \\
\sin \phi &= \sqrt{1-\left(\frac{1}{4}\right)^2} = \frac{\sqrt{15}}{4} \\
\tan \phi &= \frac{\sin\phi}{\cos\phi} = \sqrt{15}
\end{align*}
I think the lower bound of [itex]\rho[/itex] is wrong.

Oh, yes, it says cos phi, but I used secant in wolfram. I'll correct the typo, thanks vela.

I can´t edit now the first post, but this is the integration I've computed with wolfram:

[tex]3 \displaystyle\int_{0}^{u}\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{\sec \phi}^{4}\rho^2 \sin \phi d\rho d \theta d\phi=81\pi[/tex]

And for cylindrical:

[tex]3 \displaystyle\int_{0}^{\sqrt[ ]{15}}\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{1}^{\sqrt[ ]{16-r^2}}r dz d \theta dr\approx{80\pi}[/tex]

their equivalent i just did it with tangent. Yours is fine . It looks like your bounds are right but i did both integral and got 80 and 100 . so i got different answers but maybe i made a mistake.

vela
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
I got [itex]81\pi[/itex] for both using Mathematica.

Thanks vela, perhaps it's only a bug in wolfram alpha :)

[tex]3 \displaystyle\int_{0}^{\sqrt[ ]{15}}\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{1}^{\sqrt[ ]{16-r^2}}r dz d \theta dr=80\pi[/tex]

This is actually right, I just corroborated it doing it by hand:

[tex]3 \displaystyle\int_{0}^{\sqrt[ ]{15}}\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{1}^{\sqrt[ ]{16-r^2}}r dz d \theta dr=3 \displaystyle\int_{0}^{\sqrt[ ]{15}}\int_{0}^{2\pi}(r\sqrt[ ]{16-r^2}-r)d \theta dr[/tex]
Using:
[tex]u=16-r^2\rightarrow du=-2r[/tex]
[tex]3 \displaystyle\int_{0}^{\sqrt[ ]{15}}\int_{0}^{2\pi}(r\sqrt[ ]{16-r^2}-r)d \theta dr=-3\pi\displaystyle\int_{16}^{0}\sqrt[ ]{u}du-6\pi \left( \frac{r^2}{2} \right ) _0^4=2\pi 16^{3/2}-48\pi=80\pi[/tex]

vela
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
You got the limits for u wrong and plugged in the wrong limits for the other term.

Uups you're right. That was the mistake, thank you vela :) I made a big mess with this involving spherical and cylindrical coordinates :P but the thing is that for the volume it's easier to compute it using cylindrical coordinates (unless I think so). But for the surface integrals spheric coordinates seems to be better (gives simpler expressions).

I wanted to corroborate the Gauss theorem for that region, the problem gives a vector field. I have some doubts about that too, I should make another topic for that, right?

vela
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Probably a good idea to start a new thread for that.