1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Triple Integral

1. May 4, 2012 #1
    Hi everyone. I am trying to integrate the following:

[itex]\int^{\frac{π}{2}}_{-\frac{π}{2}}\int^{acosθ}_{0}\int^{\sqrt{a^{2}-r^{2}}}_{-\sqrt{a^{2}-r^{2}}}rdzdrdθ[/itex]

Here's my work:

[itex]=2\int^{\frac{π}{2}}_{-\frac{π}{2}}\int^{acosθ}_{0}r\sqrt{a^{2}-r^{2}}drdθ[/itex]

I use substitution with u=a2-r2 to get:

[itex]=-\int^{\frac{π}{2}}_{-\frac{π}{2}}\int^{a^{2}sin^{2}θ}_{a^{2}}u^{\frac{1}{2}}dudθ[/itex]

[itex]=-\frac{2}{3}a^{3}\int^{\frac{π}{2}}_{-\frac{π}{2}}(sin^{3}θ-1)dθ[/itex]

[itex]=-\frac{2}{3}a^{3}\int^{\frac{π}{2}}_{-\frac{π}{2}}sin^{3}θdθ+\frac{2}{3}a^{3}\int^{\frac{π}{2}}_{-\frac{π}{2}}dθ[/itex]

sin3θ is an odd function so the first integral is equal to zero:

[itex]=\frac{2}{3}a^{3}\int^{\frac{π}{2}}_{-\frac{π}{2}}dθ[/itex]

[itex]=\frac{2}{3}πa^{3}[/itex]

However, I have seen other solutions online that give the actual answer as 2a3(3π-4)/9. The authors of these solutions change the limits of integration of the original triple integral by taking advantage of symmetry. More specifically, I noticed that the person changed the limits of θ from 0 to π/2 by multiplying the integral by 2. Then when you get to the point when you integrate sin3θ, the integral no longer equals zero. However, I thought you could only do this if the region of integration has no θ dependence. And in any case, why should it matter whether I change the limits of integration or not? It's still the same integral, right? I have a feeling I'm making a very dumb mistake somewhere but I can't find out where. Thanks for any help.

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2012 #2

sharks

Gold Member

Your integral is correct.
    You could also have used the multiple angle formula to convert sin3θ into sin(3θ) or used the substitution: let u = cosθ.

4. May 4, 2012 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You didn't make a dumb mistake, but it is a mistake nevertheless, sort of a subtle one. The problem is where you have $$
    u^{\frac 3 2}|_{a^2}^{a^2\sin^2\theta}$$and you substitute the ##a^2\sin^2\theta## in for the ##u##. That gives you $$
    (a^2\sin^2\theta)^{\frac 3 2}$$That does not simplify to ##a^3\sin^3\theta## when ##\theta## is between ##-\frac \pi 2## and ##0## because ##a^2\sin^2\theta\ge 0## and when you raise it to the 3/2 power it must be nonnegative. It's the old problem that ##\sqrt{x^2}= |x|##, not ##x##. What it does simplify to is ##a^3|\sin^3(\theta)|##, which is not an odd function and doesn't give ##0## in later steps.

5. May 4, 2012 #4
    Thanks LCKurtz. That ,makes sense. Now what I don't understand is this:

[itex]\int^{\frac{π}{2}}_{-\frac{π}{2}}\int^{acosθ}_{0}\int^{\sqrt{a^{2}-r^{2}}}_{-\sqrt{a^{2}-r^{2}}}rdzdrdθ=4\int^{\frac{π}{2}}_{0}\int^{acosθ}_{0}\int^{\sqrt{a^{2}-r^{2}}}_{0}rdzdrdθ[/itex]

It makes sense to me with the integral with respect to z, since the region of integration is symmetrical about the xy-plane, and f(θ,r,z)=r is even with respect to z. As for the integral with respect to θ, I realize that the region of integration is also symmetrical about the yz-plane, but I am not immediately inclined to think that the function f(θ) being integrated at that time will be even with respect to θ. How can you tell? Am I even thinking of symmetry in the right way?

EDIT: Is it because g(θ)=acosθ is even with respect to θ, so any composite function f(g(θ)) that results from the integration with respect to r will also be even?

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  6. May 4, 2012 #5

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

##\cos\theta## is even and any function of an even function is even. See if you can prove that.

7. May 4, 2012 #6
    Let x=g(t) be an even function, that is, x=g(t)=g(-t). Then f(x)=f(g(t))=f(g(-t)) must also be an even function.

Is that a sufficient proof? It sounds more like a conclusion.

8. May 4, 2012 #7

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's about all there is to it. I would write it like this: Let ##h(t) = f(g(t))##. You want to show ##h(t) = h(-t)##. So calculate ##h(-t)##:
    ##h(-t) = f(g(-t)) = f(g(t))\hbox{ (since g is even) } = h(t)##.

9. May 4, 2012 #8
    Okay, thanks again. This problem was driving me insane before but it's all clear now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook