1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Triple Integral

1. Oct 26, 2013 #1
    1. Use a triple integral to find the volume of the given solid.

The solid enclosed by the cylinder x^2 + z^2 = 4 and the planes y = -1 and y + z = 4

This looked like a cylindrical coordinate system to me, except for the fact that it is not cylindrical around the z-axis but the y-axis. I tried to fix this problem by "rotating" my coordinate axes so that my old z-axis would be my new x-axis, x would become y, and y would become z. I'm not sure if this is a valid approach or not.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2013 #2

hilbert2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It makes no difference mathematically how we name the coordinate axes. The coordinate system ##(r,\theta,y)##, with
    ##x=rcos\theta##
    ##z=rsin\theta##,
    is as valid a cylindrical coordinate system as the usual ##(r,\theta,z)##.

Now the volume element is ##dxdydz=rdrd\theta dy##. Note that because of the plane ##y+z=4## all of the integration limits in the volume calculation are not constants, one of them is a function of ##r## and ##\theta##.

4. Oct 26, 2013 #3
    Hilbert1 is absolutely correct. However, if you lack his sophistication, you can just rewrite the problem switching the y and z. They are just symbols, right?

5. Oct 27, 2013 #4
    Thank you both so much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted