Integrating f(x,y,z)=z Over Elliptical Cylinder

In summary, the student attempted to solve a problem involving integrating a function over a region bounded by a cylinder, ellipse, and plane. They ran into trouble with the first integration problem and then found a shortcut for the second.
MuIotaTau

Homework Statement

Integrate ##f(x,y,z) = z## over the region bounded by ##z = 0##, ##x^2 + 4y^2 = 4##, and ##z = x + 2##,

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

I sketched the region in question, but my drawing is so terrible that I'm afraid it'll be little help to anybody who didn't draw it themselves. To describe the region in question, it is an elliptical cylinder (i.e. cylinder whose xy-cross section is an ellipse) and it is bounded by the xy-plane on the bottom and by the plane ##z = x + 2## on the top. Given this, I set up my integral as follows:

$$I = \int_{-2}^2 \int_{-2\sqrt{1 - y^2}}^{2 \sqrt{1 - y^2}} \int_0^{x + 2} z \ dz \ dx \ dy$$

Can anybody spot a mistake so far? I've attempted the entire problem, but I would like to make sure there isn't an issue so far before I tex it all up if possible. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
MuIotaTau said:

Homework Statement

Integrate ##f(x,y,z) = z## over the region bounded by ##z = 0##, ##x^2 + 4y^2 = 4##, and ##z = x + 2##,

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

I sketched the region in question, but my drawing is so terrible that I'm afraid it'll be little help to anybody who didn't draw it themselves. To describe the region in question, it is an elliptical cylinder (i.e. cylinder whose xy-cross section is an ellipse) and it is bounded by the xy-plane on the bottom and by the plane ##z = x + 2## on the top. Given this, I set up my integral as follows:

$$I = \int_{-2}^2 \int_{-2\sqrt{1 - y^2}}^{2 \sqrt{1 - y^2}} \int_0^{x + 2} z \ dz \ dx \ dy$$

Can anybody spot a mistake so far? I've attempted the entire problem, but I would like to make sure there isn't an issue so far before I tex it all up if possible. Thanks!
Looks OK.

Mark44 said:
Looks OK.

Okay, thank you for that. So my progress is as follows:

$$I = \frac{1}{2} \int_{-2}^2 \int_{-2\sqrt{1 - y^2}}^{2\sqrt{1 - y^2}} \bigg(x^2 + 4x + 4 \bigg) \ dx \ dy$$

$$I = \frac{1}{2} \int_{-2}^2 \left[\frac{1}{3}x^3 + 2x^2 + 4x \right]_{-2\sqrt{1 - y^2}}^{2\sqrt{1 - y^2}} \ dy$$

$$I = \frac{1}{2} \int_{-2}^2 \bigg(\frac{8}{3}(1 - y^2)^{\frac{3}{2}} + 8(1 - y^2) + 8(1 - y^2)^{\frac{1}{2}} + \frac{8}{3}(1 - y^2)^{\frac{3}{2}} - 8(1 - y^2) + 8(1 - y^2)^{\frac{1}{2}} \bigg)\ dy$$

$$I = 8 \int_{-2}^{2} \bigg(\frac{1}{3}(1 - y^2)^{\frac{3}{2}} + (1 - y^2)^{\frac{1}{2}} \bigg) \ dy$$

I simply don't know how to integrate this, and I feel as if I'm missing something simple. Any suggestions?

MuIotaTau said:
Okay, thank you for that. So my progress is as follows:

$$I = \frac{1}{2} \int_{-2}^2 \int_{-2\sqrt{1 - y^2}}^{2\sqrt{1 - y^2}} \bigg(x^2 + 4x + 4 \bigg) \ dx \ dy$$

I simply don't know how to integrate this, and I feel as if I'm missing something simple. Any suggestions?

I would try switching to polar coordinates right at this step.

Likes 1 person
It might be easier to switch the order of integration: dz dy dx. Using symmetry would make it a little simpler as well.
$$\frac 1 2 \int_{-2}^2 \int_0^{1/2 \sqrt{4 - x^2}} \int_0^{x + 2} z \ dz \ dy \ dx $$

If you have drawn a sketch of the region, you'll see that the volume above the upper half of the ellipse (where y ≥ 0) is the same as the volume over the lower half.

In any case, since you have invested a fair amount of time, you'd probably rather just continue from where you are. Assuming your work so far is correct, you basically have two integration problems. The first is the one to the 3/2 power. That looks like a trig substitution to me. The second looks like a trig substitution as well, but there's a shortcut. The part with the 1/2 power represents a half-circle whose radius is 1. Should be easy to get that one.

Likes 1 person
My sleep schedule is killing me right now, so I'm going to hit the hay for the time being, but I appreciate all these posts and I'll come back to this thread tomorrow.

What is the definition of an elliptical cylinder?

An elliptical cylinder is a three-dimensional shape that is formed by extruding an ellipse along its major axis. It can also be thought of as a stretched or elongated cylinder.

What is the formula for integrating f(x,y,z) over an elliptical cylinder?

The formula for integrating f(x,y,z) over an elliptical cylinder is ∫∫∫f(x,y,z)dV, where the limits of integration are determined by the dimensions of the elliptical cylinder.

What are the applications of integrating f(x,y,z) over an elliptical cylinder?

Integrating f(x,y,z) over an elliptical cylinder has various applications in physics and engineering, such as calculating the volume of a cylindrical tank with elliptical ends or determining the center of mass of an elliptical solid object.

How is the integral over an elliptical cylinder different from that of a regular cylinder?

The integral over an elliptical cylinder is different from that of a regular cylinder because the limits of integration are determined by the dimensions of an ellipse, rather than a circle. This results in a more complex integration process.

What are the challenges of integrating f(x,y,z) over an elliptical cylinder?

One of the main challenges of integrating f(x,y,z) over an elliptical cylinder is determining the limits of integration, which can be a complex process. Additionally, the integration itself may be more difficult compared to integrating over a regular cylinder.