1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Triple Integral

1. Jun 27, 2005 #1
    Hi, I need to find the volume of the solid that lies above the cone with equation (in spherical coordinates) [tex] \phi = \frac{\Pi}{3} [/tex] and inside the torus with equation [tex] \rho = 4\sin\phi [/tex]. I thought that the bounds are: [tex] 0\leq\rho\leq4\sin\phi[/tex], [tex]\frac{\Pi}{3}\leq\phi\leq\frac{\Pi}{2}[/tex], and [tex]0\leq\theta\leq2\Pi[/tex] but when I evaluated the integral (using Mathematica) of [tex]\rho^2\sin\phi[/tex] (the Jacobian) using these bounds I got the wrong answer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2005 #2
    [tex]\frac{\Pi}{3}\leq\phi\leq\frac{\Pi}{2}[/tex]

Between Pi/3 and Pi/2 you ahve the volume outside the cone, if you want the volume inside the cone (like water ina coneshaped cup) then you'd want to go from phi = 0 to Pi/3.

4. Jun 27, 2005 #3

saltydog

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The attached plot shows the cross-section of the donut intersecting with the cone. This is what I come up with:

[tex]\int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^{\pi/3}\int_0^{4Sin(\phi)}\rho^2 Sin(\phi)d\rho d\phi d\theta[/tex]

Mathematica reports approx 19.99. What did you get?

Attached Files:

5. Jun 27, 2005 #4
    Thanks a lot for both of your help. After fixing the bounds of phi i got the correct answer of around 19.99

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?