1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Triple Integral

1. Aug 3, 2005 #1
    I need to prove the following:

[tex]\int_{0}^1\int_{0}^1\int_{0}^1\frac{1}{1-xyz}dxdydz=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n^3}[/tex]

Or, as a generalization:

[tex]\int_{0}^1\cdots\int_{0}^1\frac{1}{1-\prod_{k=1}^mx_k}\prod_{k=1}^mdx_k=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n^m}[/tex]

...if there is such a generalization.

I don't know where to begin, any suggestions?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2005 #2
    You can make a Taylor expansion of the denominator since it is convergent for every point in the domain of integration.

4. Aug 4, 2005 #3
    Alright, a friend showed me how to do this for m=3. Does this work?

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n^3}=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{(n+1)^3}[/tex]

and since [tex]\int_{0}^1x^kdx=\frac{1}{k+1}[/tex], the sum can be rewritten as follows:

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{(n+1)^3}=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\int_{0}^1\int_{0}^1\int_{0}^1(xyz)^kdxdydz=\int_{0}^1\int_{0}^1\int_{0}^1\frac{1}{1-xyz}dxdydz[/tex].

This works? Or, is the proof more in-depth? I would like to know whether the needs to be a justification for evaluating the outside sum first.

Thanks again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?