1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Triple Integral

Tags:
  1. Dec 7, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Evaluate the triple integral y^2z^2dv. Where E is bounded by the paraboloid x=1-y^2-z^2 and the place x=0.
    2. Relevant equations
    x=r^2cos(theta) y=r^2sin(theta)
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I understand how to find these three limits, -1 to 1 , -sqrt(1-y^2) to sqrt(1-y^2) , 0 to 1-y^2-z^2. I then solved the first integral and got y^2z(1-y^2-z^2) I know I need to convert to polar coordinates. I am able to do that 0 to 2pi, 0 to 1.
    I am having trouble converting the equation y^2z(1-y^2-z^2) to polar coordinates.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2017 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

What are these equations? They aren't the equations to convert from cartesian to polar.

4. Dec 8, 2017 #3
    yes they are I am having trouble converting it do I leave the z that left over in?

5. Dec 8, 2017 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It looks like the x-axis in your problem plays the role usually reserved for the z-axis in similar problems. So, you will find it easier to use un-standard polar coordinates ##y = r \cos \theta## and ##z = r \sin \theta##, with volume element ##dV = r\, dr \,d\theta \, dx##.

6. Dec 8, 2017 #5
    Thank you :).

7. Dec 8, 2017 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

No, they aren't. In the usual conversions, ##x = r\cos(\theta)## and ##y = r\sin(\theta)##, not with ##r^2## as you show. Use Ray's advice to treat x as you would normally do for z

8. Dec 8, 2017 #7
    that was a mistype .

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted