Limits for Rho in Triple Integral for Volume of Solid Bounded by Two Surfaces

In summary, a student is comparing their answer to their professor's solution for finding the volume of a solid bounded by two equations. They noticed that the professor's limits for one of the integrals were different and were wondering why. The student also mentioned spotting errors on the answer key. The expert advises the student to ask their professor for clarification.
HclGuy

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the solid bounded above by [tex]\rho[/tex]=1+cos[tex]\varphi[/tex] and below by [tex]\rho[/tex]=1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I already solved it but was comparing my answer to my professor's solution, I was wondering why when he did the integration, his limits for [tex]\rho[/tex] were from 0 to 1, wouldn't the limits for rho be 1 to 1+cos[tex]\varphi[/tex]? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
There are any number of reasons why one integral might give the same result as another- since you did not post his complete integral I don't believe we can say why his method works for this particular problem.

The thing is, I got a different answer and was not sure if the professor had made an error on the answer key since I already spotted a few other errors on it..but let's see now
[tex]\int\int_0^\pi\int_0^1\rho^2\sin\varphi d\rho d\varphi d\theta[/tex]
outer limits are from 0 to 2pi
I was just wondering why his limits for [tex]\rho[/tex] were from 0 to 1. I thought it would be from 1 to 1+cos[tex]\varphi[/tex]

You may have copied the problem wrong or he may have set it up wrong himself. Have you asked your professor?

1. What is a triple integral and how is it different from a regular integral?

A triple integral is an extension of a regular integral, which involves finding the area under a curve in two dimensions. A triple integral involves finding the volume under a surface in three dimensions. It is represented by three nested integrals and is used to calculate the total volume of a three-dimensional object.

2. When do you use triple integrals to find volume?

Triple integrals are used when dealing with three-dimensional objects, such as spheres, cylinders, or any other curved surface. They are also used when calculating the mass or density of a three-dimensional object.

3. What are the limits of integration in a triple integral?

The limits of integration in a triple integral depend on the shape of the object and the coordinate system being used. In rectangular coordinates, the limits are typically defined by the x, y, and z coordinates of the object's boundaries. In cylindrical or spherical coordinates, the limits may be defined by the radius, height, and angle of the object.

4. Can triple integrals be solved using different coordinate systems?

Yes, triple integrals can be solved using different coordinate systems, such as rectangular, cylindrical, or spherical coordinates. Choosing the appropriate coordinate system can often simplify the calculation of the triple integral.

5. What are some real-world applications of triple integrals?

Triple integrals have various real-world applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are used to calculate the volume of objects, such as tanks, pipes, and containers. They are also used in fluid dynamics to calculate the mass and density of fluids. In physics, triple integrals are used to calculate the electric field and gravitational potential of three-dimensional objects.