Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Triple integrals

1. Apr 8, 2006 #1
    evaluate [tex]\int \int \int _E \sqrt{x^2+y^2} dV[/tex], where E is the solid bounded by the circular parabola [tex]z=9-4(x^2+y^2) [/tex] and the xy-plane

so here's what I did, i tried to set this up in cylindrical coordinates.

the radius:

is when [tex]z=9-4(x^2+y^2)[/tex] equals with the xy-plane

so this means that z=0 and x=y

[tex]0=9-4(2x^2)[/tex]
    [tex]r=\frac{3}{\sqrt{8}}[/tex]

the z-height:

[tex]z=9-4r^2[/tex]

the angle:

theta should rotate in a ciricle so it should be 2 pi

the setup:

[tex]\int_0 ^{2 \pi} \int_0 ^{\frac{3}{\sqrt{8}}}\int _0 ^ {9-4r^2} r rdzdrd \theta [/tex]

i evaluated this twice but it seems not to be the answer, where did I go wrong?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2006 #2

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Here's your error. I don't know why you decided that x= y but in polar (cylindrical) coordinates, r is not x2, r2= x2+ y2. Your formula for the intersection of the paraboloid and z= 0 plane should be 0= 9- 4r2 so r= 3/2.

Try
    [tex]\int_{/theta= 0}^{2\pi}\int_{r=0}^{\frac{3}{2}}\int_{z=0}^{9- 4r^2} rdzdrd\theta[/itex].

I assume the "rr" was a misprint.

4. Apr 9, 2006 #3
    The boundaries look ok to me, but shouldn't therebe a [tex]r^2[/tex] in stead of just [tex]r[/tex]. I mean, one r comes from the transformation of the given integrand to polar coordinates, but we also have the Jacobian being equal to r, no ?

Marlon

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook