1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Triple integrals

1. Apr 8, 2006 #1
    evaluate [tex]\int \int \int _E \sqrt{x^2+y^2} dV[/tex], where E is the solid bounded by the circular parabola [tex]z=9-4(x^2+y^2) [/tex] and the xy-plane

so here's what I did, i tried to set this up in cylindrical coordinates.

the radius:

is when [tex]z=9-4(x^2+y^2)[/tex] equals with the xy-plane

so this means that z=0 and x=y

[tex]0=9-4(2x^2)[/tex]
    [tex]r=\frac{3}{\sqrt{8}}[/tex]

the z-height:

[tex]z=9-4r^2[/tex]

the angle:

theta should rotate in a ciricle so it should be 2 pi

the setup:

[tex]\int_0 ^{2 \pi} \int_0 ^{\frac{3}{\sqrt{8}}}\int _0 ^ {9-4r^2} r rdzdrd \theta [/tex]

i evaluated this twice but it seems not to be the answer, where did I go wrong?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2006 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Here's your error. I don't know why you decided that x= y but in polar (cylindrical) coordinates, r is not x2, r2= x2+ y2. Your formula for the intersection of the paraboloid and z= 0 plane should be 0= 9- 4r2 so r= 3/2.

Try
    [tex]\int_{/theta= 0}^{2\pi}\int_{r=0}^{\frac{3}{2}}\int_{z=0}^{9- 4r^2} rdzdrd\theta[/itex].

I assume the "rr" was a misprint.

4. Apr 9, 2006 #3
    The boundaries look ok to me, but shouldn't therebe a [tex]r^2[/tex] in stead of just [tex]r[/tex]. I mean, one r comes from the transformation of the given integrand to polar coordinates, but we also have the Jacobian being equal to r, no ?

Marlon

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?