Triple Integral: Evaluating ∫∫∫E sqrt(x2+y2) dV

In summary: The radius is when z=9-4(x^2+y^2) equals with the xy-plane. So z=0 and x=y. The z-height is z=9-4r^2 and the angle is theta should rotate in a ciricle so it should be 2 pi. The setup is that \int_{0}^{2\pi} \int_{0}^{\frac{3}{\sqrt{8}}}\int_{0}^{\frac{9-4r^2}} r rdzdrd \theta. I evaluated this twice and it doesn't seem to be the answer. I don't know why you decided that x
UrbanXrisis
evaluate [tex]\int \int \int _E \sqrt{x^2+y^2} dV[/tex], where E is the solid bounded by the circular parabola [tex]z=9-4(x^2+y^2) [/tex] and the xy-plane

so here's what I did, i tried to set this up in cylindrical coordinates.

the radius:

is when [tex]z=9-4(x^2+y^2)[/tex] equals with the xy-plane

so this means that z=0 and x=y

[tex]0=9-4(2x^2)[/tex]
[tex]r=\frac{3}{\sqrt{8}}[/tex]

the z-height:

[tex]z=9-4r^2[/tex]

the angle:

theta should rotate in a ciricle so it should be 2 pi

the setup:

[tex]\int_0 ^{2 \pi} \int_0 ^{\frac{3}{\sqrt{8}}}\int _0 ^ {9-4r^2} r rdzdrd \theta [/tex]

i evaluated this twice but it seems not to be the answer, where did I go wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
UrbanXrisis said:
evaluate [tex]\int \int \int _E \sqrt{x^2+y^2} dV[/tex], where E is the solid bounded by the circular parabola [tex]z=9-4(x^2+y^2) [/tex] and the xy-plane

so here's what I did, i tried to set this up in cylindrical coordinates.

the radius:

is when [tex]z=9-4(x^2+y^2)[/tex] equals with the xy-plane

so this means that z=0 and x=y

[tex]0=9-4(2x^2)[/tex]
[tex]r=\frac{3}{\sqrt{8}}[/tex]

Here's your error. I don't know why you decided that x= y but in polar (cylindrical) coordinates, r is not x2, r2= x2+ y2. Your formula for the intersection of the paraboloid and z= 0 plane should be 0= 9- 4r2 so r= 3/2.

the z-height:

[tex]z=9-4r^2[/tex]

the angle:

theta should rotate in a ciricle so it should be 2 pi

the setup:

[tex]\int_0 ^{2 \pi} \int_0 ^{\frac{3}{\sqrt{8}}}\int _0 ^ {9-4r^2} r rdzdrd \theta [/tex]

i evaluated this twice but it seems not to be the answer, where did I go wrong?
Try
[tex]\int_{/theta= 0}^{2\pi}\int_{r=0}^{\frac{3}{2}}\int_{z=0}^{9- 4r^2} rdzdrd\theta[/itex].

I assume the "rr" was a misprint.

HallsofIvy said:
Try
[tex]\int_{/theta= 0}^{2\pi}\int_{r=0}^{\frac{3}{2}}\int_{z=0}^{9- 4r^2} rdzdrd\theta[/itex].

The boundaries look ok to me, but shouldn't therebe a [tex]r^2[/tex] in stead of just [tex]r[/tex]. I mean, one r comes from the transformation of the given integrand to polar coordinates, but we also have the Jacobian being equal to r, no ?

Marlon

1. What is a triple integral?

A triple integral is an extension of the concept of a single integral and a double integral. It is used to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional shape by integrating a function over a three-dimensional region.

2. How do you evaluate a triple integral?

To evaluate a triple integral, you must first determine the limits of integration for each variable, then set up the integral in the correct order. Next, perform the integration using the appropriate methods for each variable. Finally, solve the integral to get the numerical value.

3. What does the expression "∫∫∫E" mean in a triple integral?

The expression "∫∫∫E" represents the region of integration, which is typically a three-dimensional shape. It can be a solid, a volume between two surfaces, or a general three-dimensional region.

4. What does the function "sqrt(x2+y2)" represent in a triple integral?

The function "sqrt(x2+y2)" represents the integrand or the function being integrated. It is the function that is being multiplied by the infinitesimal volume element in the integral and is used to calculate the volume of the region of integration.

5. What are some real-world applications of triple integrals?

Triple integrals have many applications in physics and engineering, such as calculating the mass of a three-dimensional object, determining the center of mass of a three-dimensional object, and finding the electric field of a three-dimensional charge distribution. They are also used in economics to calculate the expected value of a three-dimensional variable and in probability to calculate the probability of a three-dimensional event.